• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rounded Corners on Light Boxes

jman

Please Note: There is absolutely no need to flame members in thread titles.
I have a potential customer wanting a flat polycarbonate face where this pan face currently is. Basic question but in all my years doing light boxes I haven't came across any with rounded corners. Just not common in my area.

Does the sign panel have to have rounded also or is it just rounded on the retainer?

Thank you!

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190302-223340_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190302-223340_Gallery.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 507

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Whenever I retro-fit a sign face I take field measurements first. Having the guys try to trim it in the field is inviting trouble (and is expensive). When you take the retainer off you'll see what you have to do.

When I do these jobs, I always try to get the client to re-lamp and do any repairs. More often than not I recommend an LED conversion. The biggest concern, of course, is will a flat face be far enough from the lamps to work? Usually not.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

jman

I haven't taken the job yet or went up there just yet. Something that came in Friday so I was just posting asking while I had some downtime during the weekend. I'll get up there this week myself.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
[Measure] how deep the existing can is. Next, just find the right vacuum shop to make rounded corner pan faces. Most likely, they're just clipped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Billct2

I'd give an estimate which includes the time to take out the existing faces and bring them to the shop to use as templates..

DerbyCitySignGuy

I have a potential customer wanting a flat polycarbonate face where this pan face currently is. Basic question but in all my years doing light boxes I haven't came across any with rounded corners. Just not common in my area.

Does the sign panel have to have rounded also or is it just rounded on the retainer?

Thank you!

They don't HAVE to be rounded as long as they'll fit, but generally if the retainer is rounded the face is as well (at least every one we've ever run across).

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Eh. just make sure your installer has a pair of pliers with him, and he can snap off the corners to fit :D

neato

Eh. just make sure your installer has a pair of pliers with him, and he can snap off the corners to fit :D
This is just cutting corners...pun intended.

Here's what you need to do to properly do this job:

1. Rent a lift or bucket truck.
2. Take detailed measurements (to the millimeter preferably)
3. Take high resolution photos (1200 dpi or more) of the corners from ALL angles
4. Return lift or bucket truck.
5. Send photos and measurements to a professional design company or engineer who will tell you exactly the radius of the corners.
6. Send faces and engineer specs to CNC wholesaler to have them cut to exact specs.
7. Rent a lift or bucket truck.
7. Install faces.
8. If faces do not fit properly, repeat steps 1-7

On second thought, maybe eahicks had a good idea.

Johnny Best

This is just cutting corners...pun intended.

Here's what you need to do to properly do this job:

1. Rent a lift or bucket truck.
2. Take detailed measurements (to the millimeter preferably)
3. Take high resolution photos (1200 dpi or more) of the corners from ALL angles
4. Return lift or bucket truck.
5. Send photos and measurements to a professional design company or engineer who will tell you exactly the radius of the corners.
6. Send faces and engineer specs to CNC wholesaler to have them cut to exact specs.
7. Rent a lift or bucket truck.
7. Install faces.
8. If faces do not fit properly, repeat steps 1-7

On second thought, maybe eahicks had a good idea.

You do know that he may follow your advice on your first thought.

jman

Thank you to all who gave answers to HELP and were not rude. Like I said, Not everyone knows everything and this is how people LEARN.

billsines

Pretty sure people come to this forum to try to learn things, not be degraded for being "stupid" or whatever.

I had a similar experience when I first came to this forum. There are people who will help you, then there are bitter people who will do nothing but waste your time telling you how stupid your question is. Unfortunately you'll just have to filter out the trash so you can get to the info that could be helpful.

Best of luck on this job.

jman

Pretty sure people come to this forum to try to learn things, not be degraded for being "stupid" or whatever.

I had a similar experience when I first came to this forum. There are people who will help you, then there are bitter people who will do nothing but waste your time telling you how stupid your question is. Unfortunately you'll just have to filter out the trash so you can get to the info that could be helpful.

Best of luck on this job.

I think the fact that the answer to his question required a little more then a screw driver and 5 mins of his time was a little off-putting to some.

Thank you guys. I really appreciate all the help and support from people who are just like me. I talked to someone that's been in the industry today for 28 years and as soon as I mentioned signs 101 they said the same thing, How people on this forum will eat you alive if you aren't up to par. It's like high school around here with the jocks vs the "nerds". If you can understand what that means it's that if someone who's been doing this industry for 28 years can immediately say how bad this forum treats people then maybe you guys need to change your perception.

I'll be honest, I'm going through an extremely time personally right now and I just want to be better for my family and myself as a person. I don't come here to be bashed and made fun of. I don't think anyone does for that matter.

It's hard to look up to people when they are just jerks. For the rest who actually help people, Thank you for your decency. Like the guy I spoke with today said, "everyone paints their first sign."

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
First - jman - The title of your thread dig at Gino is highly inappropriate. It was unnecessary and contributed to the degradation of your thread. And we all saw how eager (easily baited) some members were to readily engage in such idiotic & insulting banter. So - Please watch how you post in the future - or such threads will be deleted without notice, with punitive action taken!

Pretty sure people come to this forum to try to learn things, not be degraded for being "stupid" or whatever....

I think the fact that the answer to his question required a little more then a screw driver and 5 mins of his time was a little off-putting to some.

billsines - I completely agree. Some of members have a penchant for being somewhat condescending to newer or even established members asking questions.
And it's ridiculous considering this is supposed to be a community for sharing info if you have the ability and learning info if you require assistance.

Texas_Signmaker - So what?!
If one member doesn't like what another member has posted - then shut up! It's very easy to click to another thread, bypassing the innate urge to be a condescending ass. And I'm not speaking to you directly btw.... But such a simple act will make all the difference in Signs101 being a toxic environment or a pleasant one.

As a general note though - Members continually being rude to each other, making it so that our Moderating Team has to baby-sit arguments or little juvenile bullying or down-right mean, bitter and unbecoming banter ... You all need to stop! Trying to moderate the adolescent slights you hurl at each other and having to sift through the various post reports because of that behavior is getting quite OLD!

For those of you who continue to insult each other - A brief note for you all and you know who you are!
Continue your violation of Signs101 posting policy and offending posts/threads will be deleted, thread bans issued, infractions doled out and ultimately a vacation from Signs101.
And yet again - I will remind you that Signs101 is...

.... a community of like minded sign making professionals who seek to improve our own professional knowledge, abilities and profitability while helping other professional sign makers, of all experience levels, to do the same.

Please take note and act accordingly.
Thanks!

SignsSupport

DerbyCitySignGuy

As a general note though - Members continually being rude to each other, making it so that our Moderating Team has to baby-sit arguments or little juvenile bullying or down-right mean, bitter and unbecoming banter ... You all need to stop! Trying to moderate the adolescent slights you hurl at each other and having to sift through the various post reports because of that behavior is getting quite OLD!

I appreciate what y'all do as far as moderation goes, but this site has some severe problems with some of the members that you guys need to deal with. It's driving people away. There's an incredibly easy way to make moderation easier, it's to get rid of the bad apples.

MikePro

back to the OP, polycarb can be jigsaw'd onsite if necessary. no sweat. get a proper survey for your overall dimensions, and just round the corners before you fasten the endcaps back-on.

edited to add: banter is fun. "bullying" may also have some insight worth considering. The world is a place of many different personalities and you have to learn to deal with it sometimes.....be less of a victim and be more clever when you jab-back at people that might just be annoyed with the same reposts of the same questions because they were too lazy to use the search option on this forum.

Last edited:

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
I appreciate what y'all do as far as moderation goes, but this site has some severe problems with some of the members that you guys need to deal with. It's driving people away. There's an incredibly easy way to make moderation easier, it's to get rid of the bad apples.
Well that's just it ... You have one group of people pointing and hollering that some other group of people are the troublemakers & bad apples. Vice versa. So - We try to be as impartial as possible while moderating the forums as fairly as we can. That being said - The Signs101 Moderating Team and Administrators will take action when we do actually catch someone in the act of deliberately being the bad apple worm as it were...

edited to add: banter is fun. "bullying" may also have some insight worth considering. The world is a place of many different personalities and you have to learn to deal with it sometimes.....be less of a victim and be more clever when you jab-back at people that might just be annoyed with the same reposts of the same questions because they were too lazy to use the search option on this forum.
Banter IS fun. When all participants agree to play fairly and act right. That's not the case with some who continually seek to flame other members with insults and personal attacks.

For now - Let's please allow the OP his topic back.
All further off-topic commentary will be deleted without notice.
Thanks,

SignsSupport