• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rounded Corners on Magnetic Material

cmaxdesigns

First off I hope everyone had a Merry Xmas (if you celebrate it). First day back for me I have a client who needs magnets for his car but would like to have them made with rounded corners. I have never rounded corners on material like this and do no know how this could be done. Would anyone be kind enough to tell me how I might go about doing this?

Thanks for any help.

Bigdawg

Just Me
For your purposes?

Walmart... scrapbooking section... decorative corner rounder....

I have a pretty purple one and it cost me a whole $3.98

Or you can go spend big bucks and buy a corner rounder that will do heavier materials too.

iSign

I've done dozens with a pair of sizzzors... just pencil in a line (I used to use a film container lid... back in the days of film)

They make corner rounding tools, that work for a number of materials, but if you are slow and careful, sizzors do just fine!

V-ENGRAVE

Accu Cutter and lassco make tools for what you are after.
Both companies have number of dies to meet your needs.
Google then by name for more info.

Raulrdz

Ditto on the Walmart corner rounder. I bought one from Target on clearance and it works great. I have a larger corner rounder but I don't usually bother to set it up.

I tell all my customers that if their sign shop doesn't round the corners on the magnets they sell, they are not a real real sign shop. I then explain how rounding the corners helps provide corner lift, which is the biggest reason magnets fly-off at highway speeds.

cmaxdesigns

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Would the corner rounder from Walmart or Target work on Magnetic material. I am all for saving money but since I plan on being in business for a while I would not mind spending a little more on a quality product if it will work better and provide longevity. Again thank you all for your replies.

Bigdawg

Just Me
LOL... I've had mine for a couple years or more now. Use it only for magnetics.

Use the big one for aluminum or if I have lots to do.

V-ENGRAVE

For your purposes?

Walmart... scrapbooking section... decorative corner rounder....

I have a pretty purple one and it cost me a whole $3.98

Or you can go spend big bucks and buy a corner rounder that will do heavier materials too.

IMO, a sign shop should have a better tool to produce top quality product. One can get around with $3.98 if they use it once in a while.
I happen to have Main Trophy MAXI 3-in-1 tool that does rounding/notching and hole punching. It aint cheep but it lasts for ever.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I have a real corner rounder.. complete with dies that will do dibond or heavy gauge aluminum...

but if all you do is magnetics? Why spend $400 unless you are doing heavier materials too. He obviously isn't at this point and while a good, quality corner rounder is certainly a sound investment when dealing with other substrates... it really isn't if all you are going to use it for is mags...

SKADSIGNS

Scissors, 1 shot paint can, sharp stabilo. Trace the semi-circle out with the paint can and stabilo and cut away. Take your time and cut slowly while rotating the magnet or moving the scissors. If you cut without turning one or the other it will make a jagged cut.

iSign

Scissors, 1 shot paint can, sharp stabilo. Trace the semi-circle out with the paint can and stabilo and cut away. Take your time and cut slowly while rotating the magnet or moving the scissors. If you cut without turning one or the other it will make a jagged cut.

I think if you cut without turning one or the other...

it will cut straight :Big Laugh

B Snyder

First day back for me I have a client who needs magnets for his car but would like to have them made with rounded corners. I have never rounded corners on material like this and do no know how this could be done.

Until you purchase a corner rounding tool can't you simply trace a coffee can or similar object with an x-acto blade or similar knife? It's so simple even a caveman can do it. :)

Mosh

Just curious but, ARE YOU SERIOUS??????? How did you cut the magnetic to size to begin with? I would take it down to a welding shop and have them cut it on a plasma cutter.

Sorry, just sounded like a stupid question.

cmaxdesigns

Great to have people like Mosh on this forum. I typically post questions I am not serious about. Sorry your post just sounded elementary kind of like your picture "I have a drill" in my hand and need to take a picture of it.

cmaxdesigns

To the rest of you who have maturely responded and use this forum to gain and give knowledge thank you for your posts and information.