• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ROUTER MOTOR QUESTION

hozette

Sign Designer, Production Manager
Question: We are in need of a new 3 1/4 hp replacement router motor for Sabre 404 only place to find one is Gerber for $$$$$$ lots. Lowes has the same motor only difference besides the $ is it is not a variable speed motor, which we don't use. Does anyone know if the single speed 21,000 will work on our machine?

rossmosh

Porter Cable discontinued that model a few years back. They're on eBay used if you need them.

If you're up for a bit of a challenge, I'd buy an actual spindle and VFD. Something like this:

A 3.25HP traditional router actually puts out about 1HP when running. A 2.2KW spindle is close to 3HP. You should notice a huge difference in performance. Traditional wood routers can bog down pretty easily when cutting where spindles do much better.

Eric H

Depending on what is wrong with your router it may be able to be rebuilt. The only difference between the the one that comes with it and the standard one is that it has a longer shaft at the bottom. It works fine you just need to be careful with deeper cuts.

hozette

I still need someone to rebuild our porter cable motors. I have purchased a new motor I found on Ebay but the shaft is too short we have an extension on it but it is not ideal. We would like to find someone who could rebuild the 2 we have model 75182 Porter Cable varable speed production router motors 120v ac 15a 10,000 - 21,000 prm. I haven't had a lot of luck finding anyone who can rebuild them anyone out there know anyone who would be interested in helping us out. Our Gerber Sabre 404 is almost 25 years old and has been a good machine we want to keep it going.

netsol

you can certainly have the motor rebuilt.
labor has gone through the roof, but you might be better going to a motor rebuilder.
i used to get gear motors rebuilt all the time, for a large client, not that long ago, (6-7 yrs) but have recently been told they can't rebuild a motor for less than the price of a new one ($475-$600)

if you expect it to be cheaper than the price of a porter cable router you will be very disappointed, however

you really should bite the bullet and get it rebuilt or buy from gerber, you will have the torque and power of the original as well as the ability to vary your spindle speed.
the sabre is a great machine, you will be very disappointed if you put a junky router in it's place

netsol

I still need someone to rebuild our porter cable motors. I have purchased a new motor I found on Ebay but the shaft is too short we have an extension on it but it is not ideal. We would like to find someone who could rebuild the 2 we have model 75182 Porter Cable varable speed production router motors 120v ac 15a 10,000 - 21,000 prm. I haven't had a lot of luck finding anyone who can rebuild them anyone out there know anyone who would be interested in helping us out. Our Gerber Sabre 404 is almost 25 years old and has been a good machine we want to keep it going.
at the risk of sounding foolish like i thought my grandfather was, from 1970 till 1983 we had a guy who came to my business (we sold and serviced commercial video equipment for cable companies, studios, etc) and rebuilt small motors ON THE SPOT. in 1968 he charged us $20. and by 1983 he was charging us $48. he had a lap counter from his son's slot car racing set and he used that so he only had to make a hash mark everytime the counter reached 99. LIFE WAS SIMPLER THEN

we will never find someone like that again

hozette

I tried to get a router from Gerber first they were going to charge $1000 + but when we went to order one they don't have a replacement motor for the 404 this is going on since April May when I started the thread.

netsol

Did someone check it out?
You can get a motor company to rebuild for about half that amount if not much less (or you. Should be able to)
Did someone check that a bearing isn't frozen or a bad brush or a broken wire that can be easily fixed?
We just fixed one of our dewalt radial arm saws a month or two back.
$3. In parts. You never know

Wish i was more familiar with those. I don't know if joseph gerber found another router company to make those. (Like how my gerber tempo 600 is a graphtec)

Have you watched ebay/craigslist/offerup/facebook marketplace?

And probably worth seeing if jimmy the plotter dr. Has a used one. He's not cheap, but ALL his stuff is reliable and you would have all your functionality.

netsol

Right now there are 7 sabre's on ebay
You could use the "ask seller a question" fuction and see if any of them is sitting on spare partS
I OFTEN do this with a discontinued or just very expensive part

We have an odd program that lets us expand the hell out of craigslist searches by areA

I will see if anyone in the country is sitting on sabre parts

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
...you would have all your functionality.
And therein is the ultimate goal. Over the years, I've dealt with numerous colleagues who make it a point to do everything on the cheap. Meanwhile, they exponentially exceed the opportunity cost as they search out ways to save a few dimes on a purchase.

JB

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
James, it would be a shame to see a sabre NOT restored properly
Exactly.

Here in the midwest, there are dozens of motor repair shops in my general region. Some of the motors they repair are the size of a small dog house.

JB

Z SIGNS

Porter cable discontinued that router a long time ago. You can still get parts though. Rebuilding is not that hard. It's usually just the brushes.
This is what you want. It's an exact replacement for that router.

Z SIGNS

Why stick with a 1hp router when you can retrofit a 3hp spindle for the same money?
Wait What?
Please let us know where you can get a real 3hp spindle for the same money.
I mean a real one with support not some bs alibaba crap.
Don't forget to add the time cost of the retrofit.

Also adding horsepower does not really accomplish much.
Horse power only lets you chew a very little more and go a tad faster.
Number of passes and feed speeds are what they are
They are based on what the machine and bit can handle.

netsol

Porter cable discontinued that router a long time ago. You can still get parts though. Rebuilding is not that hard. It's usually just the brushes.
This is what you want. It's an exact replacement for that router.
Zsigns you seem to know these. I am kind of assuming the porter cables just need brushes, perhaps bearings?

netsol

Hozette,
Paul who owns signs101 used to own cnczone
Register with that site, post a request. you will probably find sabre stuff all over the place

We purchase "not working" & "can't be repaired" equipment all the time

There is no magic to getting parts, after the manufacturer lets you down

hozette

Zsigns you seem to know these. I am kind of assuming the porter cables just need brushes, perhaps bearings?
We did send it to a company in Orlando and they sent it back saying they couldn't get parts. We know it is not the brushes cause we change thoses all the time but not sure what is wrong bearings?