• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing: Max Metal vs Starbond vs Omegabond

Zac

Mediocre Designer
We were told by our Esko rep that Max Metal was the worst brand of ACM to route because it eats up router bits faster than other brands. Does anyone have experience with this? We get a good price on it ($2 cheaper than comparable brands) but if it's tearing up $40 bits left and right it's not worth it. He said they've had it tested and it contains metals other than aluminum that contribute to the cause.

Anyone with first hand experience or preferable brand to route?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Buy cheaper bits, any ACM/ACP panel will destroy bits. We used to use Onsrud and Belin bits for our iEcho cutter, then decided to try the Huhao bits that originally came with the machine and at $2.89/ea they are lasting a lot longer than the Onsrud/Belin for ACP and they also don't hurt as much when they dull out or break.

We use these bits to Cut Maxmetal, Alucabond, M-Panel, E-Panel, BeBond, DiBond, PolyBond

DerbyCitySignGuy

We use ePanel, Duratex, and DiBond. They all eat up bits. Like 2CT said, you're routing metal. If you can't or don't want to use cheaper bits, just pass the cost of the bits on to your customers.

LarryB

I have found using climb direction I get a lot more out of the bits. With conventional direction the aluminum composite will destroy the bits faster.

ChrisN

I bought some cheap $9 carbide bits from sign-in-china.com so I wouldn't feel as bad throwing them away so soon. They last just as long as a $30 USA made bit. I route Alupanel and Maxmetal DP, and haven't really noticed a difference between the two.

2CT Media - where do you buy the Huhao bits from? Are they carbide or just HSS?