• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing with a flatbed cutter

ChrisN

How do you guys who have a flatbed cutter (Kongsberg, Zund, Summa F, etc.) handle routing? Do you do anything to protect your underlay/belt, like a sacrificial mat or something? If so, what do you use? Or do you just route on the main underlay and replace it as needed?

JHeineck

Yeah, depending on the job and what we are routing we use the stiff texon mat or if we are routing smaller more slick pieces then the antislip seal grip mats with our Zund.

ChrisN

Yeah, depending on the job and what we are routing we use the stiff texon mat or if we are routing smaller more slick pieces then the antislip seal grip mats with our Zund.

Could you post a link to where I could purchase that stiff mat? or is it something special from Zund? I'm using a Kongsberg, but that shouldn't make a difference.:smile:

noisegeek

Kongsberg sells underlay mats specifically made for their machines. For the XL series, i believe the part number is G34034637.

Ghost Prophet

I get 1/4" particle board at Home Depot and route into it. Vacuum goes right through it.

This is a good idea. You can also use bad/scrap full sheets of pvc or acrylic 3mm (1/8") and route a grid of 1" diameter holes with 1" spacing all the way across the sheet to allow the vacuum to continue to work. Doesn't take very long and usually lasts quite a while if you are careful with transporting and storing it.