• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Royal Soverign 65" Laminator Issue

Vohaul

I seem to be having an issue with what i think is my laminator....

on any print / lam / cut jobs, my laminate doesnt seem to be really adhering to my media....
if i print and then lam and go back and cut, wherever its cutting the laminate is lifting from the cut edge....
also get silvering throughout....

and when i do test cuts and try and peel them off, the laminate always seems to peel off seperately..

im gassing out on average at least 24 hours if not more.......and media are both reasoanably decent calendered vinyl / laminate.....

i had one client even ask if he was supposed to remove the "clear film" before applying his decal....

any suggestions...

Thanks
Paul

Vohaul

Sorry, the laminator was in the title.... royal sovereign 65" cold laminator

Printer is a Roland Xr-640

Media is arlon..... laminate is hexis....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamie Levey

Always use matching vinyl/laminate.
Silvering can be caused by lack of pressure or time between the rollers.
Make sure materials are compatible, slow down your laminator, & stick with better medias...

jayhawksigns

Don't know much about Hexis laminate, we run Arlon without issue. Good on waiting to out gas. With what you say I would try a different laminate first.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Vohaul

Don't know much about Hexis laminate, we run Arlon without issue. Good on waiting to out gas. With what you say I would try a different laminate first.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Ya it's weird, I've run a roll or two of this before with no issues..... maybe I need to adjust the pressure between the rollers

DJr

I too have a Royal Soverign 65". I agree with a previous post as we had to adjust tension on our laminator and make sure the tension was even across the roll. Mounting with this laminator will throw it out of wack as well because at the end of the mount the rollers slam down and over time it will mess up the calibration. We went to a GFP heat assist laminator and I like it much better as it is easier to adjust the tension. Hopefully this helps some.

Vohaul

I too have a Royal Soverign 65". I agree with a previous post as we had to adjust tension on our laminator and make sure the tension was even across the roll. Mounting with this laminator will throw it out of wack as well because at the end of the mount the rollers slam down and over time it will mess up the calibration. We went to a GFP heat assist laminator and I like it much better as it is easier to adjust the tension. Hopefully this helps some.

Hmm I mount with it quite a bit as well....

Bojoz

You are taking the right step to gas out before..so that leaves roller pressure or the laminate itself. I've used good laminates, expired laminate & no mane chinese laminate..once I set a good pressure, run slow & good tension..it works fine. If it was tension..you'll see other issues line like excessive curling, trapped air under lam or wrinkles in the film.

Vohaul

You are taking the right step to gas out before..so that leaves roller pressure or the laminate itself. I've used good laminates, expired laminate & no mane chinese laminate..once I set a good pressure, run slow & good tension..it works fine. If it was tension..you'll see other issues line like excessive curling, trapped air under lam or wrinkles in the film.

So I do have silvering..... would that count as air under lam.....

Bojoz

So I do have silvering..... would that count as air under lam.....

Silvering in effect is actually air between lam and print. Mostly noticeable in the darker areas when viewed at an angle as a haze. Never had cause to use heat when laminating, but was advised it's a proactive approach. So if extra pressure is not helping, and additionally some heat is not helping..then you're going thru too much headaches just to laminate.. so then there's some issues with your laminate itself. Here's hoping you find a solution.

Vohaul

So can someone suggest tips about increasing pressure on the rollers.... I know how (ie remove side covers and tighten Allen heads on pressure springs) but how do I know what's too much or too little etc.....
Thanks

dbeere

HEAT WILL TAKE CARE OF SILVERING BUT YOURS IS COLD, TRY LAMING IT WITH A PIECE OF CHOROPLAST UNDER IT SO IT SO THE PRINT AND THE LAM GET A TIGHT SQUEEZE BETWEEN THE ROLLERS. THIS TENDS TO WORK FOR ME WHEN I HAVE THE ISSUE, I AM NEW TO THIS THO. I HAD AN ISSUE LIKE THAT WITH THE CUTTER TOO AND AFTER I CHANGER THE BLADE IT WAS FINE.