• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rust-oleum as a Spray Laminate?

CarolinaCabinet

I read elsewhere (by an experienced sign maker) that the following product will work just as well as Frog Juice or ClearShield? The topic was about eco-solvent prints on flat signs for signmakers without room for a laminator. Does anyone use this or know someone that does and can back up his theory that this is essentially the same thing at a cheaper price point? Opinions welcomed.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_417720-90-224420_0__?productId=3806139

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • I would look up and see if there are any UV inhibitors in it ??
  • Next, how hard will it dry ??
  • Will it flex with the vinyl when applying or rolling up ??
  • Will it breath at basically the same rate the inks and vinyl due ??

I would venture to say for less than $3.00 a can, you aren't getting any protection which you need with laminates in our field, but rather just a clear that will make something look fresher that has been dulled over time... ya know, bringing back a certain a mount of low luster to lawn furniture of a light on the back porch.

rjssigns

Don't know about Rust-O but on smaller projects I use S-W Kut-In Clear. Works a treat.
My experience with Rust-O products is they take forever to tack-up let alone dry.

I use Clear Shield for some larger jobs. Cheaper by the gallon.

CarolinaCabinet

Good questions Gino... you did make me remember one thing. He said he only sprayed it to the vinyl after it was already mounted onto the substrate. So flexibility wasn't an issue. My concerns was whether it would actually add much fade protection, and even worse, will it crack later on. Those were his claims, that it added as much protection and durability for less than half the cost of the products aimed at the sign market.

CarolinaCabinet

Also Gino... I just searched here and found an extensive discussion you had with Ango about liquid laminates. Very funny conversation, lol. But the reason it came up is because Steve C. of Signfonts.com mentioned that he uses this product and that it is identical to ClearShield.

Flame

True automotive clear WOULD work, yes. Dabbled with it a little and it did alright. However the question comes up.....WHY!? If you do not have the space to put a 1' x 3' x 4' laminator...how do you have space to have a spray booth? A laminator is faster, cleaner, more professional and produces no death inducing odors.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak as Steve C. did, cause I never used the Rustoleum paint you are referring to, but I have used many clear coat products and found FrogJuice to work well, but it does sometimes burn paint. He says he has a different formulation for digital prints. ClearShield has both water and solvent based clears. We generally use the solvent-based and it works quite well, but like Flamey said.... why ??

If you read the specs on the stuff you posted it has a 2 year durability. The stuff really made for the industry has about a 3 to 4 year life span. The inks will last between 3 and 5 years without any lamination, but with concerns of certain weather or sun direction can vary that. The laminate will add maybe 1 year to 18 months and sometimes longer again according to your variables.

So, you're thinking about putting a clear on that won't even hold up as long as the industry standards. Most likely, your prints will fade far sooner than someone using the correct formula.

threeputt

True automotive clear WOULD work, yes. Dabbled with it a little and it did alright. However the question comes up.....WHY!? If you do not have the space to put a 1' x 3' x 4' laminator...how do you have space to have a spray booth? A laminator is faster, cleaner, more professional and produces no death inducing odors.

The Flame makes a good point.

MikePro

if you want cheaper/easier alternatives to laminators, then get clearshield liquid laminate and a foam roller. Water-based laminate for solvent prints.

visual800

we have all used spray cans and we have seen how they do not hold up, I would expect this to be no different. Would I use it?....no, Do I expect it to last?...no

I dont care how many UV inhibitors it has in it. I use autotive urethanes for clearing and high solids at that, NOTHING will ever beat that