• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rust on Coroplast

Colin

A customer of mine just brought in some coro signs which he stored outside. They have grommets in them, and now have rust marks on the white coro. Best way to remove the stains?

CanuckSigns

were they printed or cut vinyl?

my initial reaction is to remind them that coroplast is a small step up from cardboard as a sign substrate and is very temporary by nature, no warantee.

but you could try a mild abrasive, such as commet, or CLR?

jfiscus

Rap Master
Coroplast blanks are CHEAP; the cost of cleaning/removal FAR exceeds the price of new blanks. Never seen grommets that rust...

Baz

It can be either the grommets or the screws that were used or washers as well. I agree with others .. IT'S COROPLAST ! .. Just change it for a new piece.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you getting paid as a sign refurbishing shop or just doing this guy a favor ??

By the time a grommet or anything else had the time to rust on a piece of Cor-X, I'd just tell him... he either stored them incorrectly..... buy new ones...... or his warranty has been up for a long time.

Dish detergent and an abrasive rag. Takes rust off of almost anything synthetic.

Colin

Strange how I didn't receive an email notification until now.

There are eight 32"x39" signs which I'm just adding a little text to for an event, so replacing them is not viable. It's just a few rust stains which I thought there might be some (ahem) "miracle" solution to use; I suppose CLR would be the best choice, but I don't have any. Acetone seemed to work fair.

I hate it when people store their signs stacked-up outside. They were all wet both sides.

Thx

CanuckSigns

Strange how I didn't receive an email notification until now.

There are eight 32"x39" signs which I'm just adding a little text to for an event, so replacing them is not viable. It's just a few rust stains which I thought there might be some (ahem) "miracle" solution to use; I suppose CLR would be the best choice, but I don't have any. Acetone seemed to work fair.

I hate it when people store their signs stacked-up outside. They were all wet both sides.

Thx

they obviously don't give a s**t about the signs and can't be bothered to take care of them, so i wouldn't waste my time trying to "save" them. Letter them, collect the cheque and be done with it.

Colin

they obviously don't give a s**t about the signs and can't be bothered to take care of them, so i wouldn't waste my time trying to "save" them. Letter them, collect the cheque and be done with it.

It's a friend of mine. I don't mind cleaning them up. I'm also doing a pile of other signs for said event.

CanuckSigns

sorry, I have a customer who coaches a basketball team, we do sponsor banners for him and after every game he folds them like a bedsheet and puts them in the trunk of his car, then it all of a sudden becomes MY problem when they start to look like s**t by the end of the season.

Colin

sorry, I have a customer who coaches a basketball team, we do sponsor banners for him and after every game he folds them like a bedsheet and puts them in the trunk of his car, then it all of a sudden becomes MY problem when they start to look like s**t by the end of the season.

Ya, I always provide a "Care of your Banner" instructions on a little piece of paper with each banner, which instructs to always roll the banner up when not in use (printed side in for printed, and letter side out for vinyl) - do not fold banner, and preferably roll on a cardboard tube. Many disregard these tips, but some eventually get it.

MikePro

i'd imagine almost any cleaner would do the trick on coroplast.
+1 to CLR, but I've removed almost anything conceivable from coro using RapidRemover/GooGone/citrus alternatives.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
A little bit of compounding wax works pretty good. The hard paste type like turtle wax.
(makes it nice an shiny at the same time)

wayne k
guam usa