• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

?'s on routed flat letters out of 2 plys of Extira

iSign

I spent about an hour reading up on Extira, after a thread last week where i got some good FCO material suggestions for my router.

I'd like to do some 1-1/2" letters out of this material because I can get it locally. By the time I work on it, there may be less savings over HDU, but it is still an advantage if there are no freight costs & delays.

I plan to use Zinnser solvent based shellac primer & then it seems that oil or water base paint will be ok, so unless new info arrives, I'm thinking of spraying water base paint with my HVLP for the finish coats.

The questions I have now have to do with laminating 2 plys of 3/4" material together.
If i can get some West systems epoxy, this is what I would like to use, prior to routing. Should I laminate the 2 sheets first, before I prime & paint?

Once I cut the letters, I will obviously have to finish the edges, but this still seems like the least labor intensive...

And, I'm all ears if someone had already decided that this is NOT worth doing, for whatever reasons. I have a fair bit of HDU on hand, but I'm more interested in saving it for true 3D style work. This FCO job only requires a half sheet, so I'm on the fence about trying out the Extira, but I know I want to get one of these under my belt, so i have my own experience to help make this determination in the future.

Anyway, I look forward to any and all replies!

luggnut

Should I laminate the 2 sheets first, before I prime & paint?

i would think you would need to lam them together prior to paint... if you do it after its painted then the glue is really only stuck to the paint not the boards.

i have never used Extira so this is just a guess really.

Jillbeans

I think you will wish you'd have used HDU.
I imagine it will make as much of a mess cutting.
Extira is heavy (better buy a truss) and I have had a really hard time getting a good coat of paint on it.
It's like a flat sponge covered on the top and bottom with waxed paper. It soaks in the paint and dries unevenly.
I know it's supposed to be long lasting but I really would rather work with a concrete paving slab.
I would also worry about gluing it, not sure which glue you'd have to use to get the best result.
Love.....Jill

jcuminale

Is it absolutely necessary to have 1.5"? Extira comes in 1.25" and that would be my first suggestion, I will have to look back and see if we've laminated it on any jobs. We've typically added hdu elements after finishing with silicone or gorilla glue (with cut brads to serve as pins)

Billct2

We made a sign with laminated layers of Extira. Used West Systems. That held fine.
With cutting letters as you are my choice would be to laminate first then paint.
We made one mistake with the finishing, we didn't use solvent shellac as a primer, and the edges started to swell after it was up a while. So your finishing technique sounds correct.