• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S101 Union Poll

Would You Join an S101 Union

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locals Find!

This is a poll to see how many would support and join an S101 union. Then we can ask Fred about it depending on the results.

I have NO PLAN at all. This is just an idea I wanted to kick around and throw out there. Don't ask me about the benefits of it. I don't know what if any, it would offer as I didn't think about it much past the poll you see.

Last edited:

Tim Aucoin

In a heart beat!! :Big Laugh So long as we never actually go on strike! :omg2:

Forgot to add... as long as I can pay the Union Dues in Canadian Loonies too! :Big Laugh And no crying to us Canadians because we would have a better health plan. :noway: And we would want the Union to negotiate FREE cross-boarder shipping. :Big Laugh AND, last but not least... only Union members get to see the famous "THING" I sent to Gino! :popcorn:

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Would or could you elaborate how this would help or benefit anyone and where will the union dues go ??

Also, if you set up a union here, for those that can't afford to join or don't want to join, will they be forced from this site ??

Locals Find!

Please explain what you mean by "union?"

Well, there has been some threads on here about customers requesting union made decals etc..etc.. why shouldn't we have a S101 union that would allow us to do things like that.

I don't know whether or not Unions can negotiate for Group Health Plans..but it would be interesting to find out. Anyone who knows chime in with an answer please.

njshorts

only union i'd ever join...

let's keep dues low and either hang onto em for members in need or for a worthwhile charity.

Locals Find!

Would or could you elaborate how this would help or benefit anyone and where will the union dues go ??

Also, if you set up a union here, for those that can't afford to join or don't want to join, will they be forced from this site ??

I am not laying out a plan for it, Gino. You pose a good question though.

I figure if their is interest in it a those details could be researched and discussed further. This is more to see if there would be interest.

signswi

This is an absurd concept and shows complete ignorance of what a union actually is. My guess is you guys are trying to get around union shop requirements which is just skeezy.

Pat Whatley

Dammit, I hit the wrong button. No I wouldn't join. I'm a one man union and damn happy about it. I go on strike when I want to and meet my own demands as I wish.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In my view, the appropriate role for Signs 101 is to evolve into an association ... not a union. This was attempted in some depth, to the point of actually creating a charter and a set of by-laws. We then held an election of officers and a board of directors.

Unfortunately, the results were less than satisfactory and the idea was abandoned.

Marlene

Fred, the site is great just the way it is. we have members from all over the world, with all levels of experience in so many areas of the sign biz and related to the sign biz. what more could anyone want?

Locals Find!

I like the idea of a trade association. I have belonged to many different trade associations. They were very beneficial. Signs 101 would make a great trade association. Its not to far of stretch from what Fred has built already.

Pat Whatley

I don't know whether or not Unions can negotiate for Group Health Plans..but it would be interesting to find out. Anyone who knows chime in with an answer please.

We looked into it years ago thinking we could partner a bunch of shops together nationwide and apply for a group rate. The main problem we kept running into was the it's written state by state so we'd have to have a large enough group out of one state to even begin to qualify. Then you have requirements on keeping the number of people paying into the till that the group was based on so if a couple of shops dropped out after a couple of months the rest would have to pick up the tab. The problems just kept piling up until it became apparent that to try and pull it off was going to take a dedicated staff and enough cash up front to pre-pay the entire term each time. Ended up being far too many headaches to be worth what little it was going to save us.

Doesn't matter anyway....Obama made healthcare free, remember?

Unfortunately, the results were less than satisfactory and the idea was abandoned.
Man, Fred, you should go into public relations. :ROFLMAO:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Man, Fred, you should go into public relations. :ROFLMAO:

blondie.gif
It's called gilding the lily.

njshorts

not too sure what the benefits would be to this.... maybe more explanation?

'legitimate' use of a union bug.

...and that's pretty much it. aside from making a mockery of a life-sucking trade force that outgrew it's usefulness in the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.