• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S160T OPOS Cam Flex Cut Issues

InkHead

I just took delivery of the Summa T160 OPOS Cam last week. Im running into an issue with Flexcuts specifically on inside corner cuts. It is overcutting and leaving like an X cut on every inside corner. I have dialed in everything as far as pressure for the knife and flex pressures. The decals pop out with a little flick so I believe I have the pressures set correctly.

Overcut was set to 1 so I changed it to 0 with no real change. Ive tried decreasing speeds and still the same issue. Kisscuts do not have this issue. It cuts perfect.

Im using Flexi but have all settings turned off so that it uses the cutter settings. Just to eliminate Flexi out of the equation, I sent the cut file through Winplot and exact same issue.

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on what I should try?

Here are some really zoomed in pics:

https://imgur.com/a/aQj7Wtb

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I think the reason is because flexcut is not meant for contour cutting. You are supposed to do contour shape with kisscut and then do for example a flexcut box on the outside.
This is a quote from the user guide.
The cutting through functionality is focussed to cut simple shapes (e.g. rectangles). It is most used in combination with contour cutting.

Saturn

Aging Member
Can't help specifically with that problem, although it almost seems like it might be worth taking a close look at the vectors in the file? That seems extreme unless there's a check box I don't know about. I think overcut is usually around 0.1mm?

I specifically do NOT use flexcut on my S2 and just do one or two heavier "normal" passes. Also, setting up cut lines to have zero, or few, corners will speed things up ENORMOUSLY.

jerry369

Overcut was set to 1 so I changed it to 0 with no real change. Ive tried decreasing speeds and still the same issue. Kisscuts do not have this issue. It cuts perfect.

When segmentation is activated the plotter uses a fixed overcut of 1 mm, regardless of the value set on the plotter. Winplot (probably Onyx too) turns the segmentation ON before executing Flexcut cuts. This is the reason why kisscutting (segmentation OFF) cuts perfect and flexcutting (segmentation ON) cuts with 1 mm overcut.

InkHead

I think the reason is because flexcut is not meant for contour cutting. You are supposed to do contour shape with kisscut and then do for example a flexcut box on the outside.
This is a quote from the user guide.

I heard of this but was told that it was possible to do complex shapes as Flexcuts. I believe there are a few other owners of these cutters that do Diecut stickers/decals all day long on these machines.

Can't help specifically with that problem, although it almost seems like it might be worth taking a close look at the vectors in the file? That seems extreme unless there's a check box I don't know about. I think overcut is usually around 0.1mm?

I specifically do NOT use flexcut on my S2 and just do one or two heavier "normal" passes. Also, setting up cut lines to have zero, or few, corners will speed things up ENORMOUSLY.

I have looked at the files and these are just simple spot color contour shapes created in illustrator. Most of our work is "die cut" decals and have been cutting these on our Mimaki drag knife cutter perfectly with no issues.

I thought maybe it could be the shape of the tangential blade tip that causes the overcut when it is cut through the material?

When segmentation is activated the plotter uses a fixed overcut of 1 mm, regardless of the value set on the plotter. Winplot (probably Onyx too) turns the segmentation ON before executing Flexcut cuts. This is the reason why kisscutting (segmentation OFF) cuts perfect and flexcutting (segmentation ON) cuts with 1 mm overcut.

Interesting... Is there a way to turn off segmentation in the software that is overriding the cutter?

Saturn

Aging Member
Skip flexcut. If you're just doing generic diecut stickers on ~3 mil stuff (laminated or not) you can just adjust the blade depth and pressure to cut all the way through with a "regular" cut and achieve better results. I went through all this on my S2 too, now I cut and pop thousands of little stickers a day with little issue.

jerry369

Interesting... Is there a way to turn off segmentation in the software that is overriding the cutter?

The only way to perform a flexcut cut without enabling segmentation is to enable flexcut on the plotter (segmentation OFF) and send the flexcut data via software as kisscut cuts.

InkHead

Skip flexcut. If you're just doing generic diecut stickers on ~3 mil stuff (laminated or not) you can just adjust the blade depth and pressure to cut all the way through with a "regular" cut and achieve better results. I went through all this on my S2 too, now I cut and pop thousands of little stickers a day with little issue.

I actually tried this yesterday and it worked beautifully. The stickers were still attached but popped out really easy. The stickers look a lot cleaner without the perf tabs.

Now if I need to do a regular contour cut around the graphic (kisscut) and then do a square cut through (diecut), I suppose I will need to input the pressure values in the RIP rather then disabling everything in the RIP and using the cutter settings.

I am using Flexi for the time being so I think I would need to create different presets for different cuts. Hopefully the blade exposure as set now for die cuts wont affect a regular kiss cut. I guess I need to write down the current values and input it in the RIP and then do some kisscut tests without moving the blade.

The only way to perform a flexcut cut without enabling segmentation is to enable flexcut on the plotter (segmentation OFF) and send the flexcut data via software as kisscut cuts.

Thanks for the info. I will look into this as well. Sounds like the above solution from Saturn and what I tried will do what I want.

Thanks!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You can do the different profiles in your RIP or in your Cutter. There's different users that you can save the values, just remember to select it when you change.

InkHead

You can do the different profiles in your RIP or in your Cutter. There's different users that you can save the values, just remember to select it when you change.
Got it. I should be able to figure this out from here. Thanks everyone for the help