• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S40 vs S80 Gamut

Zog

We currently have an S30670. Been very happy with it. No major issues in 6 years.
We are now considering a new printer and I hesitate between the S40 and the S80. It the color gamut that much bigger on the S80? We print higher end prints on different medias. Are the colors very different between the S30 and S40?

Also, I would like to know if it is possible to install the machine without the white or the silver which are no use for me...

Thanks

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Yes, we run ours without silver or white. Works perfectly in 9 colour mode.

Here are a couple of plots I did showing the gamut difference between CMYK and CMYKOR from our S80600. (Light CMK shouldn't expand the gamut, they're only there to reduce grain/stepping).

CMYKOR vs. CMYK Gamut Side.PNG CMYKOR vs. CMYK Gamut Top.PNG

Pretty visible how the oranges are so much better represented. Reds, not as much as expected.
If you can live without hitting Pantone 021C, the S40 will provide ample gamut for most jobs.

greysquirrel

the s40 is lightyears better than the s30. the 30 50 70 had major issues...all resolved with the 40 60 80
you can run the 80 as 9/c then switch to metallic or white and back again whenever you want...personally I'd buy 2 s40 in lieu of the 80...

Cee84

You can have it set up from CMYK to all 9 colors, its a beast of a machine imo. There are many options. I'm using one running Onyx 18 printing onto clear plastic material so we use white as well. The color gamut is very large when using the correct output profile ;)