• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help S80600 banding on 12 pass

altereddezignz

I have an S80600 that i am having banding issues. I now have it on 12 pass. I have tried multiple materials along with our in house created profiles and canned profiles. Almost all things printed with 8 pass band as well.

I have done an auto media feed adjust and i also created a new media profile on the printer as well. Nozzle checks are perfect as well and i have also changed out ink.

Any ideas?

Thanks

a77

You're still under warranty, I would call Epson if I were you.
I run 4pass with no visible banding on my S40.

Post a photo of the banding? Does it appear at the beginning of the print or after a bit of time?

altereddezignz

The pic i had to resize to load it so i hope you can still see it. This is 12 pass on orafol 3165RA material.
I had another sigh that had brown, red and yellow. It was printed on 8 pass and could def see it in the brown but i can't seem to find an image of that.

I wouldnt even think of printing in 4 pass right now. now 8 pass on banners looks perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,022

altereddezignz

The pic is horribly at seeing the banding after i look at it on here.

I did do a manual paper feed adjustment and entered the measurement what was only 1/2 mm off but i then printed s 8x48 black block and it looks good and if any banding is is VERY minor.

a77

Not sure if I'm seeing this right, but is the banding in the direction of the roll feed? If so, too high of a temp causing media to get wavy?

altereddezignz

Epson rep is here. Changed heads and some other items. Epson sends a file that bypasses the rip and prints on 3 m media set at 35/35/45. Still have banding. Before was a light banding now its a dark banding. Auto and Manual page feed adjustment has been done as well.

altereddezignz

Sent a new tech and some special Epson Semi Gloss paper that can only be used for a specific calibration. So list time.
2 new heads
new head caps and covers
new pre heaters
new print heaters
new post heaters
new linear motors

a HUGE LIST LOL.

Quark

Merchant Member
Could it be printhead(s) out of physical alignment / carriage bent crooked / head raised to high due to some mechanical issue. On Mimakis lowering a head sometimes helps. Your indicated on banner it's better - banner is thicker so the head gap is less

altereddezignz

Could it be printhead(s) out of physical alignment / carriage bent crooked / head raised to high due to some mechanical issue. On Mimakis lowering a head sometimes helps. Your indicated on banner it's better - banner is thicker so the head gap is less

On banners on this machine we have to set the head height to 2.5. The head height for adhesive is 1.6. Carriage rod was removed and checked. Also all rip software was bypassed with a prnt file that was built by Epson to eliminate any rip software.

2 new heads. New head caps, The head carriage was adjusted by the last tech with feeler gauges ( thats a crazy process if you ever get to watch it lol )

I have had multiple techs here from Epson one seemed to think that it was not putting down enough ink but my banding is dark not light. Even if you adjusted the amount of ink saturation i dont think it would effect the banding .

The file built from Epson uses a specific paper, specific temps, No rip so eliminates a lot and they had a couple files to print.

I am at a loss at the moment. When my tech left yesterday he was overnight prints to Epson engineers to see if they have a solutions. The other crazy part is that head 1 prints almost perfect head 2 has more noticeable banding.

Now i do need some help. does anyone have a image of where they have canceled a print to show the passes at the end that have not had all the passes done for the print? Prefer 12 or 8 pass. i want to compare.

And am i right 8 pass would bean it takes 8 passes of material in each 1 inch of material. Same with 12. 12 passes of material to cover a 1 inch of material?

altereddezignz

Last tech just left. Used special epson paper to calibrate machine and then spent another 2 days checking things. Taking printer apart and putting back together. I now have slight banding on 12 pass. The tech said i still have issues but he doesnt know what it is and that i will receive a call from epson.

I received a call yesterday afternoon from Epson saying that my banding is well within the acceptable standards of Epson and there is nothing more they will do for me other than offer me a free set of ink.

I was told that it is not a hardware issue yet Epson sent a prn file that the tech printed from his laptop with the printer completely dis connected from my network and my printer and using no rip software????

EXCUSE ME WHILE I FREAK OUT HERE!!!!

I then get an email stating about a possible refund and wanting me to provide proof of all the purchases but the refund will be heavily prorated since i have used the machine???!!!!???

I have contacted my purchased dealer and they are looking into this as well so BUYER BEWARE. So far i am pretty much being kicked to the curb by Epson bc even the techs that where here have stated that i have a printer that doesn't print as the other Epson they have worked on do...

So Epson if you monitor these threads and this forum take a good look into what your doing. This is a perfect way to show currently for me how crappy of a company you are.

a77

If the techs admit to you that it does not work as other ones do.. then I would not accept anything but a complete replacement.
But see what their "prorated" refund would look like... you can then buy another brand machine and hopefully have better luck.

EDIT: I only have the s40 but on matte material I get ZERO banding with heavy coverage at 4pass. No banding with all medias with 6pass. Only been a few months, but so far I'm doing good. If you get anything except damn perfect at 8 pass, something is very wrong in my opinion.

ChrisN

Wow, that's not good. We have 2 S80600 printers, and we haven't had any issues like this. We run 6 pass normally, and there is no banding on IJ-180 vinyl. Even on 4-pass, we can get usable prints with very little banding.

On banners on this machine we have to set the head height to 2.5. The head height for adhesive is 1.6. Carriage rod was removed and checked. Also all rip software was bypassed with a prnt file that was built by Epson to eliminate any rip software.

2 new heads. New head caps, The head carriage was adjusted by the last tech with feeler gauges ( thats a crazy process if you ever get to watch it lol )

I have had multiple techs here from Epson one seemed to think that it was not putting down enough ink but my banding is dark not light. Even if you adjusted the amount of ink saturation i dont think it would effect the banding .

The file built from Epson uses a specific paper, specific temps, No rip so eliminates a lot and they had a couple files to print.

I am at a loss at the moment. When my tech left yesterday he was overnight prints to Epson engineers to see if they have a solutions. The other crazy part is that head 1 prints almost perfect head 2 has more noticeable banding.

Now i do need some help. does anyone have a image of where they have canceled a print to show the passes at the end that have not had all the passes done for the print? Prefer 12 or 8 pass. i want to compare.

And am i right 8 pass would bean it takes 8 passes of material in each 1 inch of material. Same with 12. 12 passes of material to cover a 1 inch of material?

Pass counts are not directly tied to distance. The value represents the number of times that the carriage will pass over a given location, and potentially deposit ink.

1-pass printing means that the media advance distance between passes would be roughly equivalent to the print swath, 2-pass would divide that media advance distance in half, and so on.

So you have been effectively down due to horizontal banding since June 20, is that correct?

Last edited:

TomNJ

Last tech just left. Used special epson paper to calibrate machine and then spent another 2 days checking things. Taking printer apart and putting back together. I now have slight banding on 12 pass. The tech said i still have issues but he doesnt know what it is and that i will receive a call from epson.

I received a call yesterday afternoon from Epson saying that my banding is well within the acceptable standards of Epson and there is nothing more they will do for me other than offer me a free set of ink.

I was told that it is not a hardware issue yet Epson sent a prn file that the tech printed from his laptop with the printer completely dis connected from my network and my printer and using no rip software????

EXCUSE ME WHILE I FREAK OUT HERE!!!!

I then get an email stating about a possible refund and wanting me to provide proof of all the purchases but the refund will be heavily prorated since i have used the machine???!!!!???

I have contacted my purchased dealer and they are looking into this as well so BUYER BEWARE. So far i am pretty much being kicked to the curb by Epson bc even the techs that where here have stated that i have a printer that doesn't print as the other Epson they have worked on do...

So Epson if you monitor these threads and this forum take a good look into what your doing. This is a perfect way to show currently for me how crappy of a company you are.

So I just received a nice brochure in the mail today offering $6,000 in incentives on the S80600. What is your recommendation? Should I buy one or not????