• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Safety Gear Going Subscription?

WildWestDesigns

I just thought I would put this out there for the motorcycle riding people. I could easily see this going into other vehicles as well (as the author indicates).

I don't see a dual option remaining for long. Typically when vendors offer a dual option, it only lasts so long before they really start going for the subscription service.

WildWestDesigns

I initially figured you meant harnesses and hard hat type safety gear. I'm willing to bet those can already be bought with a subscription service, though I've never stopped to see.
Also, this seems like a liability for the company making the vests, as opposed to a fail-safe, it's a fail deadly, or reverse dead mans switch? What if they were to have a snafu on their end, and a customer who's never missed a payment becomes one with the pavement?

Probably would need court cases to happen before that is even considered.

Stuff like that is reactive versus proactive.

unclebun

The option is still there to just buy it outright for $800 instead of $400 plus $12 per month. And the thing is a separate airbag vest which you can choose to wear or not. The motorcycle is completely independent of it, and the majority of riders don't use an airbag.

WildWestDesigns

The option is still there to just buy it outright for $800 instead of $400 plus $12 per month. And the thing is a separate airbag vest which you can choose to wear or not. The motorcycle is completely independent of it, and the majority of riders don't use an airbag.

Again, how often do dual options last when it comes to something like this? We have seen it with software that we use. Started off dual, then went one way.

The other thing is, I wonder how long before car makers do this? There is a much closer nexus with everything. Now I am getting into speculating here, so take it for what it's worth.

I do worry more about how this is going to affect the traditional cars myself as I don't deal with motorcycles, the closest thing to motorcycles that I get to is horses.

Even though things may be independent now, that doesn't mean that they won't be apart of the main device itself. Think long game.

Safety and/or convenience features are usually were people are more willing to opt in to other things that they wouldn't necessary do otherwise.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Isn't another option just to not ride a motorcycle with one of them on ?? Or what happens if there's a glitch on their end ?? They're playing with some mighty high stakes there. About the only time you'll need their product is if you already are in a really bad situation. Oh, before I slam into this wall, let me text my subscription and see if this thing is on-n-n-n-n-n-n.................... :covereyes: