• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Safety of Chemicals used in sign making

adamfilip

Im trying to determine the safest and best tools to use for signmaking.
im concerned for my workers and myself.. for there short and long term health using these products.

We work in a mixed office/production environment and people are always mentioning the smell from my department.
ive been working here for a long time and I cant barely notice the odor of the vinyl, laminated, chemicals and inks.

We mainly use chemicals to remove vinyl adhesive residue on Sintra (PVC),
currently we use 3M adhesive remover.. with a orange Citrus odor.. I actually like the smell.. but many dont.. im more concerned about the safety of using these products long term.. I supply masks and gloves to protect my workers.. but I would be happy to switch to a safer product if there was one.. I have been reading MSDS sheets but they all cry "Danger"
even when the product seems safe.

We currently have two Roland Versacamms.. running ECOSOL MAX inks
Anyone have any concerns with roland inks and working around them.. and the printers long term?

I use 3M Ij35-C as my goto vinyl,

use 3M Adhesive remover Citrus aresol cans to remove vinyl residue
we also use 99% Iso Alchohol for general cleanup

We also have and use Rapid Remover.. which I hate it turns adhesive into a pile of sticky goo, and is greasy

Also Use rapid Tac II, Rapid Prep, Plastic Prep, Rapid Clear

Please let me know your thoughts :Canada 2:

rjssigns

At my old job they would periodically have environmental audits/testing. This was done over several shifts over a couple days. An employee from each work area would wear a device that monitored anything that was in the air. Dust, VOC's, etc...

This is the only way to know for sure what is going on. It also gives you third party verification and a paper trail should it be necessary.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
That's a good question. In screen printing I often wonder the same thing. As a small business all I can really do is stay vigilant.

-We post and make available all the MSDS sheets for the guys to have complete access to.
-We have "No Budget" when it comes to PPE. (Personal Protection Equipment) If someone wants something to protect themselves, we get it. We have not had an unreasonable request to date.
-We try to limit exposure by requiring some types of PPE.
-Good ventilation is also a high priority.
-Above all else, we take safety seriously. We don't brush it off if someone comes to us with an injury, burn, cough, etc.

On a related note, we used to keep all our on press washes in spray bottles, thus making our chemicals into an aerosol. Us being fairly young it took a while before I realized plunger cans existed. Don't waste your time with anything smaller than the pint can. The smaller sizes tip over when you use them.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Since we mostly do sandblasting and painting, we've been using a Smokeeter air scrubber http://www.smokeeters.com for the shop. It not only traps the larger dust particles, but it works as an ionizer to help reduce microscopic pollutants and odors. (Dust and fumes are vented outside through a collection system connected to the cabinet)

Ditto with good training on MSDS and PPE methods and procedures. Be sure to document everything to protect yourself as an employer.

JB

ChicagoGraphics

I been around all types of solvents such as laquor, zylo,benzine,turpintine etc. going on 34 years now, nothings wrong with me besides the head twiching I get every now and then.

OldPaint

i have been using lead based paint, real airplane glue, exposed to DDT in a powder form(1950's when i was a child)worked on farms with fertilizer dust, we had a coal fired furnace till 1969........i shoveled the coal and the ashes, breathed all that dust. i primed my 1950 ford with SPRAY CANS(16-20 oz cans)of RED LEAD PRIMER!!!! no masks!!!!! ive painted cars with lacquer,A/E, & enamels....smoked cigarettes & pot....iam still here at 67. lungs are fantastic......

Techman

i have been using lead based paint, real airplane glue, exposed to DDT in a powder form(1950's when i was a child)worked on farms with fertilizer dust, we had a coal fired furnace till 1969........i shoveled the coal and the ashes, breathed all that dust. i primed my 1950 ford with SPRAY CANS(16-20 oz cans)of RED LEAD PRIMER!!!! no masks!!!!! ive painted cars with lacquer,A/E, & enamels....smoked cigarettes & pot....iam still here at 67. lungs are fantastic......

And you post photos of lime green banana hammocks.

adamfilip

3mm PVC is about $20-30 a 4x8- how long does it take to strip & clean it?

we apply vinyl onto CNC cut shapes and complicated box structures made from PVC that are hinged using 16oz Banner strips and tesa tape and velcro, these can cost hundreds of dollars depending on the complexity

it faster and cheaper to remove the vinyl and reuse this structures 5-6x rather then make new ones all the time.

when we are making simple shapes.. that we can easily cut using a straight edge on pvc.. we use new sheets and dont remove the vinyl

SeaWriter

I am by no means a chemical engineering or environmental expert so don’t quote me, I only share an actual experience.

Part of the public’s issue with our industry is the odor they smell. What the general public does not realize is by the time they can smell any bad or “chemically” odor is that they are usually so far from the odor source, the compound has broken down to such levels PPM (parts per million) it is basically harmless.

Still offensive, yes, but basically harmless.

Several years ago before the ink manufactures started reducing chemicals and carcinogens, I had a disgruntle employee report us to the ministry of labor for air pollution and dangerous work environment. Of course once a governmental body was involved, we had all the industry and environmental ministries in here.

The Labor group thought they had us nailed to the wall after reading the MSDS sheets, but after all the air sampling, testing, even sampling the actual ink, we were assured the air quality was well within PPM acceptable. The guys in white coats told us an idling car was more dangerous.

However it all came down to “worker comfort” and what steps could we take to reduce the odor. That’s where exhausts, air cleaners or deodorizers came into play.

But like Old Paint and others said, those who have experienced much harsher chemicals, laugh in the face of that citrus smell.

Still can’t be as bad as some of those taxis?