• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Safety sticker trademark or royalty question.

SignShopDave

I have a customer that has some safety stickers he bought a few years back and cant remember where he got them. he wants me to reproduce them. Is there copyrights on them? I have searched and cant find anything on this. If it is what do I need to change to make it my own?

These are the stickers with a picture of a hand getting crushed and says caution or danger or pinch point etc.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Show some pics. Doubtful that you'd be in trouble making your own artwork.

But, I don't think you can have a Nike swoosh with the words "KEEP ALL SWEAT OUT!" (like they have in China)

equippaint

I don't have an official answer but these are universal symbols and every machine manufacturer uses the same ones. I think OSHA wants these to be the same so they are easily identified.

ams

It really depends, did he own the copyright to what he produced? Is it a universal graphic like the handicap logo? Did he download it from a free site or pay for the vector? So many questions.
Depending on the image it may not be harmful to reproduce. Also note that if you change something I believe it's 25% or 50% then you own it. It's no longer copyrighted.

papabud

Lone Wolf
they are a universal symbol.
just download a new vector look a like one. throw some type at it. and call it a day. unless he wants it to look exactly like that one. i would say dont waste your type, just typeset a new one really fast and be done

SignShopDave

Thanks for all the replies. I will be just recreating them myself. to answer some of the questions he did not create them himself he bought them online a few years back so I know he does not have the royalties.

Billct2

Off topic but has anyone here ran into a copyright issue
For safety stickers...or ever? In 40 years, never. Only two issues I know of personally was a store I did that had to change their name because it was trademarked by a TV show
and a mural artist who I did some text patterns for who copied a famous painters work.