• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sand Texture Background

David Glasco

I have a customer that wants a sign with a background to look like a sandy beach. I am using 20lb HDU and have found several sand textures files I think that will carve nice on my CNC. I am thinking that maybe instead of paint I use a coat of sand glued over the surface.

Does anybody have any experience with creating a sand like texture?

Dave

I am usually using play sand.
attachment.php

one coat of paint to hold it and two coats to seal it.
You can use clear acrylic.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 165

spectrum maine

paint heavy coat of sand color on background, pour lots of coarse sand into wet paint way more than needed. wait 24 hrs pour extra off. done, or use tinted smiths cream. not much different than smalts - do not use fine sand it will absorb the paint & make shiny spots

Last edited:

Marlene

paint heavy coat of sand color on background, pour lots of coarse sand into wet paint way more than needed. wait 24 hrs pour extra off. done, or use tinted smiths cream. not much different than smalts - do not use fine sand it will absorb the paint & make shiny spots

if you do it like smalt it shoould work and it sounds like it would look awesome. much better to use real sand than faking it with stucco or blasting it with a texture. I've seen over the years in gift shops sand castles where they stick sand to a ceramic so maybe you can find the right kind of sand thru a wholesale craft supplier