• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Sandblast stencil

PrinterJess

I cut and apply a lot of sandblast stencil to cedar signs so they can be sandblasted and painted, etc. But I have been having a hard time finding an application tape for the stencil that works really well. I started out using regular Conform 4075 RLA paper tape, but that sticks too well. After I apply the stencil and try to peel off the tape, the tape wants to lift the stencil back up, or it comes off the tape so hard that it rips in little shreds that I have to peel off for an hour. No good. I am currently trying Clear Choice AT-75 application tape. This is a polypropylene film so no ripping and shredding when I pull it off the stencil. But this tape's problem is that it doesn't stick well enough to the stencil. When I peel off the release liner to apply the stencil to the cedar, the letters and cut designs tend to come with. They don't want to stick to the application tape. It sometimes will just fall off the stencil. I do clean the stencil before applying the app tape. I normally just clean it with windex and a paper towel with the thought that I need to get the powder and dust off the stencil or the application tape won't stick. So I am not sure what the deal is. Is there anyone out there that works in a shop that also applies stencil? What kind of application tape is normally used for this? What is the normal process for applying? Thanks a lot for your help.

Z SIGNS

Cut your stencil.Don't weed it.Don't put any application tape on it.Apply the stencil to the board using a hinge.It will stay together when you remove the liner.Weed the stencil after it is on the board.

PrinterJess

I normally weed after applying. But you're saying don't cut all the way through? So it stays together without tape? Never thought of that. Thanks, I'll give it a try.