• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Save your scrap

ams

When you use for example a 24" roll of vinyl and cut out something 12". Cut off the remaining piece you didn't use and save it. This can be reused as a back up if you make a mistake, or used to cut smaller decals and stuff.

Use a ruler or something straight and try to make the cut as straight as possible so it doesn't go off alignment too bad.

Another reason to do this is, it's FREE vinyl! Meaning it's already paid for, so you can do another job and not pay more for vinyl.

When storing it, I roll it up very loosely and put a piece of masking tape on it, and throw it in my scrap bin, every time I go to do a small job, I first look at my scraps.

Locals Find!

Another great idea for this scrap vinyl sell it to the morons that buy the Cricut plotters from costco.

Pure profit and one less PITA customer to deal with.

JimmyG

i wish now i had thought of selling my scrap vinyl....
i use my scrap vinyl (and weeds) to add colour to my "vinyl ball"...it keeps growing and growing and growing....

:-(~

ddarlak

Go Bills!
wow, thanks, great tip.

here's another ~

when you get up in the morning, don't forget to breathe!

Marlene

the guy is making an effort to give back to the site so lets back off and let him. we sign vets forget that there are newbies here who wouldn't think of this so if anyone gets something from, then good. if the tips sounds too common knowledge to any of us, just ignore it. who knows, maybe Fayt just saved us from yet another "what do i do with left over vinyl" newbie thread:Big Laugh

SignManiac

Back when I did use vinyl, I'd often use the scraps of 2mil cast for a paint mask on certain projects. It's thin enough not to leave a noticeable ridge on the paint edge.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Very rarely do I get to use scraps - most of what I cut is just too big...

but I save scraps anyway... then donate them to my granddaughter's art class...

win-win situation in my book.

Brandon708

Here is another relevant tip.

When you weed vinyl save the vinyl that was weeded try not to ball it up. Stick it on a piece of scrap backing paper. Save it to create a massive pile just incase someone orders a stencil of that. Bam there you go FREE MONEY!

I really hope this helps as much as Fayt's post.

I have other tips too... Like using all 10 fingers to type to save time while typing. TRY IT. it saves time and time is MONEY!

BAM BOOM BANG tips for the day!

HulkSmash

here is another relevant tip.

When you weed vinyl save the vinyl that was weeded try not to ball it up. Stick it on a piece of scrap backing paper. Save it to create a massive pile just incase someone orders a stencil of that. Bam there you go free money!

I really hope this helps as much as fayt's post.

I have other tips too... Like using all 10 fingers to type to save time while typing. Try it. It saves time and time is money!

Bam boom bang tips for the day!

lol

dj_elite

I save my vinyl backing paper, then when its time to reorder I order just the vinyl and apply to the backing paper. Saves a bunch!!!

Mosh

I used to, I ended up with a dumpster of old film!!! the days of stocking a million vinyl colors is past. We need a special color we print it.

Another thing we used to do with scrap vinyl is sell it as Jack-o-lantern decoraring kits.
We sold a ton, the guy next door had a pumkin patch deal.

mark in tx

The best thing I did was take all those vinyl scraps we had saved over the past 5 years and never used, and threw them into the dumpster. I probably freed up 200 sq/ft of shelf space.

GypsyGraphics

it's usually more trouble than it's worth to save scraps especially when you're talking mere pennies worth...
but sometimes it worth wasting a little time, not waste resources.

it'll always be easier to throw stuff away than recycle it

as far as i'm concerned... any post here that doesn't say "trash it" is worth reading

SignManiac

For the more adventurous among us here, it makes a fantastic binding tape for those into bondage, so I've heard down at the local BDSM club.