• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SC-540 is down with a strange problem. SC-??? on boot screen.

I'm hoping that there is a tech on board or someone who can chime in with a solution to my problem. I know this is an older printer but it is in great condition and very clean and has been great until a few weeks ago.

After trying to resolve the problems with my printer and replacing parts the past couple weeks when I could find time to work on it I decided to take another look today and noticed something strange when powering up the printer. If you look at the attached pic you will see on bootup it displays the firmware version as well as the printer model, in the picture it boots as SC-??? instead of SC-540 like it used to. I thought it might be a firmware issue and tried to re-install it but it can’t because it doesn't recognize “SC-???” and says it's the wrong printer because it is looking for “SC-540”. I’m stumped at what could be causing this and hope someone here has some insight.

Below is what I did while troubleshooting the error codes before I noticed the bootup display today.

Original errors were:
Scan Motor Error 0080
Also 0010
And Service call 0101

Tried to resolve doing a Limit Initialization, it would get to the “Setting Up Cutter Down Pos” step and the head will move to the left but the tool carriage will not separate from the head carriage to finish the calibration so I have to abort the setup.

Parts replaced:
Encoder Strip
Encoder Sensor
Carriage Limit Sensor
Scan Motor

attachment.php

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Boot.jpg
    Boot.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 487

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm not sure how it works on Rolands but if it's anything like the Mutoh or Mimakis, your parameters could be corrupt. Usually the parameters are what tell the machine which version it is. You might need to call Roland to see if they can send you the original factory parameters so you can do a fresh install. Other than that I would check the main board for a jumper that may be broken/missing. There are some boards that are used in multiple machines and they use a jumper to indicate which machine the board is for.

Thanks for the quick reply. The parameters in this printer are set by dip switches and can be viewed in the service menu and are showing correct. I also just removed the cover to access the main boards for the first time to double check and everything looks correct and clean there as well.

Just an update..... I just swapped out the main board with a new/used working main board and I still have the "SC-???". Where would this be pulling the info from if it is not on the mainboard?? Is there a way to do a hard reboot for this machine?

I pulled the headrank and all important info off my original board and the new board I put in still contains the info from the machine it was pulled from and was going to enter my info but can't update the firmware because of this error. I'm just trying to figure out what could be causing this issue, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

InkjetAuction

Stop!!!!

Your ORIGINAL mainboard is probably fine... you probably just needed to complete the limit initialize. The ??? happens on all Roland machines when it does not have a valid limit initialize.

You stated in the thread that you had trouble during the limit initialize in that the carriages will not separate.
This can happen for two reasons:

(1) You do not have the head carriage in the "lock" position, or
(2) The lock is either out of place, damaged possibly loose.

Can you confirm that you are able to lock the the head carriage in place during the limit initialize? Is it not staying locked? I assume that you know how to lock it in place... yes? no?

~E

I am pretty sure the mainboard is fine also, since the replacement is doing the same thing.

During the limit initialize here is what happens:

You are correct when the head doesn't separate it is not in the lock position as you stated. I didn't realize that at the time I wrote the post.

When the head carriage is in the "lock" position and I hit enter at “Setting Up Cutter Down Pos” it looks like the carriage tries to move then I get a motor error. I am guessing that the carriage won't release and sends a fault that causes the error.

If I can figure this problem out maybe I can bring it back to life.

I have talked with 2 different techs who tried to talk me through the limit initialization and both did it differently, so maybe a little guidance here will help. I could write a step by step of what I am doing if that will help.

I think your option 2 is where the problem is. Hoping you could assist me to troubleshoot this.

Thanks!

It's seems clear that I can't get past the limit initialization because the head carriage won't release from the lock. Any ideas why this would happen?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When running the limit position you have get the head to be locked so that the cutter will separate. Slowly manually move the head to the right until you hear/feel a click and then push it slightly to the left to make sure it is locked. Then hit enter and it should separate properly. It can take a couple of tries to get it locked if you haven't done it before.

Thanks VanderJ,
I do get it to lock, the problem is the head carriage doesn't release from the lock and causes a motor error. Do you know what could cause that?

Here is a video:
[video=youtube;a4he2EFs8MY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4he2EFs8MY[/video]

Update

Just a quick update. I did find the problem thanks to ~E's post, it made me realize I was looking in the wrong spot and I feel like an idiot for not catching it sooner. If anyone is experiencing a similar issue check this first...... Make sure the screw in the tool carriage hasn't loosened and slipped on the carriage wire. Must be we had a head strike and moved the head carriage down the wire and would never pass the limit initialize.

Everything is now working properly and now I have some spare parts if anybody needs them. Something that seemed like a board, sensor, or motor problem was a very easy fix and the local techs I talked with couldn't figure it out, they just wanted to sell me a $30,000 machine.

Thanks to all who helped!:signs101: