• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scaffolding for over cab installs?

Signed Out

Wondering how most companies handle install for over cab installs. Such as a tractor with a big wind deflector like the attached image. Sometimes it just isn't practical to work off ladders. In the past we have used a forklift with a pallet on the forks, which isn't ideal. Our rolling scaffolding isn't wide enough to straddle the hood of a tractor. Have been tossing around the idea of fabricating our own scaffolding to accomplish this. But would like to know what others are doing. Is there a decent setup we could just purchase rather than fabricating. Needs to be portable as well. Have a job coming up for 10 tractors that have to be done at the customers yard.

Attachments

• tractor-trailer-2015-09-09-180145.jpg
    tractor-trailer-2015-09-09-180145.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 452

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We did one last week, same way. Two ladders and an aluminum extending walk plank. It might be uncomfortable sometimes, but it makes the most sense to me.

tomence

Open the hood and get up on the engine, don't worry you won't break it, it is the fastest and easiest way, this will work for the lower to the middle portion of the windbreaker, otherwise you would have to use two ladders and a plank.

Signed Out

We've thought about using a plank as well, but seems like it wouldn't be very stable at that height? Would need the plank to be about 10' off the ground, so I'm guessing you would need (2) 14 or 16 foot ladders. How high are you guys setting these up?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We use 2 - 12' step ladders. Plank sits on the second to top step. You can sit or stand to do it. That's how we get varied heights.

phototec

The Werner 8 ft -13 ft Aluminum Extension Plank works great on two step ladders and I also use it with the Werner ladder jacks and 16' extension ladders on the sides of buildings. it is very portable.

It has a 250# rating so only good for one person, but it works well for me on jobs that my 8' rolling aluminum scaffolding won't fit.

PA208 8 ft -13 ft Aluminum Extension Plank

BROWNDOG

I take the bucket truck, tilt the bucket and lay right down, gives the abs a good workout, but works, and is mobil

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you have pallet racks (and who doesn't) they make a very nice stable work platform for stuff like this.

wayne k
guam usa

SIGNTIME

These are handy for trucks. The plank is long enough to get over cabins.

ull230113_img01.jpg
I don't see how this could work... once the ladders are spread far enough apart to get a tractor between them, and get the board up 7' or 8' in the air it seems like 13' would just barely reach the inside rungs. Does the board lock onto the runs or just sit on them?

Bly

I don't see how this could work... once the ladders are spread far enough apart to get a tractor between them, and get the board up 7' or 8' in the air it seems like 13' would just barely reach the inside rungs. Does the board lock onto the runs or just sit on them?

That's just a pic I found online.
Our planks are 4 metres long and have rubber beads along them to stop slippage.
They're strong enough to hold two people.
They work great.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That's just a pic I found online.
Our planks are 4 metres long and have rubber beads along them to stop slippage.
They're strong enough to hold two people.
They work great.

Can they hold two "American Sized" graphics installers? We're the guys OSHA had in mind when they put the 300lb limit on a-frame ladders.....

wayne k
guam usa

Patentagosse

Open the hood and get up on the engine, don't worry you won't break it, it is the fastest and easiest way, this will work for the lower to the middle portion of the windbreaker, otherwise you would have to use two ladders and a plank.

Some of the new engines have plastic cover on top (valves cover I mean, not other parts labeled NO STEP on 'em) and it's possible the break it if you're heavy and put your feet right in the middle. Make sure at least you position your feet near the edges...

Patentagosse

I work alone here so I have had to find ways to do it by myself. I've bought a set like the one pictured along with connecting plank (8ft). Works great, lightweight, portable, can be connected in-line to make a 16ft catwalk when striping the top of a Sprinter or in "C" to wrap-around the cab when applying graphics on Hi-Rise sleepers (where cab allow to stand-up right from your seat) There's a distributor in USA but I don't remember their name. I got 'em from a guy in Vancouver. From entry-level models to their "Cadillac" one on wheels, these scaffoldings worth every pennies.

Attachments

• Maintenance top sleeper2 (Medium).jpg
    Maintenance top sleeper2 (Medium).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 283
  • 3 guys including Jeff (Medium).JPG
    3 guys including Jeff (Medium).JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 344
  • 5 steps with 10 ft plank in line.jpg
    5 steps with 10 ft plank in line.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_7392 (Large) (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7392 (Large) (Medium).JPG