• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scale artwork in Illustrator based on single object

JoeBoomer

Hello Team,

How do you scale all of your artwork based on sizing a single item in that artwork.

Example:

Vehicle wrap with the word "Poop" on it. I know that I want the "o" to be 12"h. How can I enter in that value and have it scale the rest of the artwork accordingly?

Seems like a simple thing, but just not sure how to do it..?

- Adobe Illustrator CS5 -

Thanks

WI

I don't think you can just select one discreet object in a compound path and tell Illustrator to enlarge the whole path until X part is Y dimension.

That said, is there a reason you can't just make a 12" high box and manually scale the artwork up until the part in question is the size you want it to be?

TammieH

In Illustrator...group all of your objects together, Now draw a box/circle/rectangle, whatever you like... the same size of the object you want to a force measurement to
(you might want to zoom in to create the box the same size exactly)

Now the fun part.. for PC select all then hit [control 7] to make a clipping mask
Then using Transform...type in your desired height [enter] of course

Then [Control Alt 7] to remove clipping mask....now delete the object you used for the clipping mask.

Wallah! easy peasy

I use this method all the time for scaling signs to walls, buildings, vehicles

JoeBoomer

Damn Tammie! That's a great idea.

I typically use the guides method, but it feels dirty and primitive.

+1 bazillion for Tammie!

Thanks everybody. (Greatest forum in the world!)

Newartmedia

I agree with all the other posts, but would like to add something... perspective...? if you take a photo of a car bonnet (hood) the actual measurement is not the same in the photo due to perspective right? I also use the 'sized box' and free transform the photo to scale up, but only for a flat surface such as a shop sign/window.....

How does every one else scale for a photo with different perspectives? for example, if you want text to look straight on a curved windshield?

John Butto

If the poop is in outline just select the O and go to transform and with constrain height and width selected, type in 12" for height and it will do it in proportion. If poop has not been outline just take the type tool select O and type in the character size box.

JoeBoomer

Clipping mask method not working for me...?

Tammie,

I tried you method, but the objects outside of the clipping mask get selected and they dictate the size of the transformation. (See image)

Am I doing something incorrectly?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-01 at 3.55.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-03-01 at 3.55.13 PM.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 171

JoeBoomer

John,

That only works for the "o". I want the rest of the artwork to scale also. Unless I'm misunderstanding your message?

toomeycustoms

Not the quickest, but you could always use math. Determine the height of the "o" now, lets say it's 2.25". Take your final dimension of 12" and divide it by 2.25 which is 5.333. Select All artwork and then multiply one of your dimensions by 5.33 and your o should be pretty close to 12"

TammieH

Joe, did you group all objects together before creating the clipping mask?

Everything that you want to scale in proportion should be grouped together.

then draw your box (you only need to be concerned about the height of the box since that is what you need) zoom in, draw the shape the exact height of the object that you need a certain size. create mask then change to the size you desire...release mask everything should be changed in proportion. Remember Illustrators font limits though and max art size.