• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Scale of Artwork for a Window Display

Denaeus

I am an illustrator and used to small scale works, but I am getting into larger pieces. I am creating a
sign to be used for a window display. I am not sure what size I should create my illustrator artwork that the enlarged window sign will look okay. The final window sign will be 8' x 3'. What dimensions should I use for my Illustrator ai file and an additional PDF?

Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I may be misunderstanding your question... are you talking about working in scale or resolution?

For scale:
This is where Corel - right out of the box - beats Illustrator. Corel has scale tools where you can design in scale and call out your measurements.

I use Illustrator, but I have CadTools (www.hotdoor.com) so I can work in scale. Cadtools is far more superior to Corel's stock cad/scale tools, but might be overkill for your needs... it ain't cheap either.

Before Cadtools was around and I was forced to use Illustrator, I would make my design at full size - then scale it down 8.33333% to make it 1" = 1' - 0" - or half size and scale it down 16.666% - then scale down accordingly to fit the page and an architectural ruler for client and city review. Then size it up for reproduction.

TammieH

Its easier to design in full scale if possible, given Illustrator's limitations...if you need to show a proof, reduce it to a standard page size for the customer, add measurements for fonts....etc.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I agree- it's best to work full-sized. Of course, Illustrator bones you there with a max of just under 19'.
I also agree with what Rick said, too- in that particular case, Corel's scaling feature is much better than Adobe's limit. You'd think Adobe would've come up with a similar system by now- considering how much Corel has "borrowed" from them!

OADesign

What I have done, just to keep things simple, and prevent errors between design and production, is first consider working at full scale. Think about it. Illustrator max artboard it 227". Your current project fits well inside that right? Maybe cumbersome, but you can make a new doc for each window. Then if you need to proof the design via PDF, you can a just keep all your details/notes in within a box that is the same ratio as say an 8.5x11 or 11x17, and, print to a PDF and choose "fit to page" from the print dialog. Simple PDF proof from your art.

Another option, which works really well for my workflow, is just working at 10% scale. Simple. No math to remember. When setting your document/art board size, keep "constrain width" locked, and move the decimal point. For example: 96" x 36" = 9.6" x 3.6". Now you have more room to work if there are many windows/signs you need to build. Just make sure to note the scale some where for your production guy/gal. If that is you too, then you are good to go. Now all the above only apply if your art is purely vector. If you are adding raster/bitmap elements you will need to account for a few other variables: Viewing distance and final output resolution. Regarding viewing distance, think about how far your end user will actually be looking a the product. Second story from across the fwy? Or from 2' as they walk past it in the entry? Regarding final output resolution, 150dpi at full size typically is more than enough pixels to get the job done. I'm sure there will be some opinions opposite of all this. YMMV.
Probably way (waaay) more info then you needed. Hope some if it is useful.

shoresigns

Why wouldn't you just design in full scale? 8'x3' fits well within Illustrator's maximum size limit, which is just under 19'x19'.

And if you need to go larger than 19'x19' you can easily design anything in 1:10 or 1:100 scale, and just move the decimal over one or two digits for all your measurements. I don't know why anyone would ever need a plugin to do this.

Denaeus

I'm very glad I joined this group. I'm still getting my legs with Adobe, but learning loads. Thank you!

Rick

Why wouldn't you just design in full scale? 8'x3' fits well within Illustrator's maximum size limit, which is just under 19'x19'.

And if you need to go larger than 19'x19' you can easily design anything in 1:10 or 1:100 scale, and just move the decimal over one or two digits for all your measurements. I don't know why anyone would ever need a plugin to do this.

I think we covered this before, but since you still lack understanding... we in the US, as archaic as it is, still use the Imperial system... most promotional signs in the US can be done in the metric or in 10ths because the client only cares about what it looks like... but when they require city approval, shown to property owners, management, architects... it's done in Imperial scale. Yes, I could do 10% then .833 to get the 1" then scale it up or down accordingly to fill the space to get it to a page for municipal or client approval, or I can use tools made for that without resorting to using my expensive, clunky AutoCad...

Also, the plug in - or Corel's scale tools do more than design in scale, they speed up the call out process. Why draw out your measurements when all you have to do is pull it - done, boom.

I'm actually not responding to you, just hoping the OP sees the reasoning on why they might have to keep it on an Imperial Scale...

Rick

Oh, and by the way, to the OP, did you look at the Municipal code to see what you are allowed to do? Most cities have restrictions on how much space you can take up with graphics, based on the width of the storefront or area of window space...