Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCAM ALERT

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Bubba06, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    So, Thursday night around 12:30 I get a text on my iphone, It says "Your (Bank Name Here) security code is #$%@&%".
    I thought it was kinda strange, because the only time i get that is when i log in from a different device.
    Well there wasn't anything I could do about it until morning so I went to bed.
    When I get up Friday morning I immediately check my bank account.
    There was a bank transfer from my account to a Chase bank account, in the amount of $500.
    I jump up, and head to the bank. They basically tell me there is not much they can do about it, because it was done through my online banking account, and all security measures were good. They said I must have given the code to someone, or it was someone that had access to my phone.

By friday afternoon, I guess i have pestered them enough that they start digging into it and start to see that some of the IP addresses from where the activity was going on were in NY. I'm in SC.

They said they see more scheduled transfers, so they supposedly delete them, along with newly added
    phone numbers and contacts for the account.
    They immediately shut down my online banking, and launch a full investigation.
    Fast forward to Monday afternoon............I go to the bank to check progress of the investigation, and there has been another $500 transferred out of my account. I am furious!!!! How could this happen? My Online account was shut down.

The bank starts Jumping, they don't know whats happening, I start questioning the manager about my money being safe in his bank, because it is still unclear as to whether or not they will give me my money back.

I leave the bank and call a County sheriff Investigator (friend of mine)

He says "Bubba, there really aint much we can do. Them sum *****es are prolly in Russia, but keep me up to date, and at any point I can step in...I will".

I go home for the evening, and my wife hands me the mail.
    There is a Chase debit card in the mail. The card is in my name, the account numbers match the account that the money was transferred to.

I have been on hold with Chase ever since.

I guess they will answer sometime.....

But Why in the hell would someone hack my bank account just to open me up an account at another institution? and why would they have the Debit card sent to me?

Tags:
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Well, Chase did get in trouble a few years back for opening accounts without peoples' knowledge. But you had to already be a customer of theirs and they took the money from an existing account with them.

3. Jburns

Jburns Premium Subscriber

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    Was this a Wells Fargo bank?- I heard similar stories this AM -withdrawals of same amount

4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Maybe to file and collect unemployment or a loan in your name or someone elses. Might want to pull your credit report or see what can be done to notify the reporting agencys of potential fraud.

5. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Its full blown identity theft. You need to file a police report and close your bank account. They could be writing bad checks in your name and you'll warrants for arrest so a police report is crucial. Put a "credit freeze" on all thre credit reports. You're about to have a new part time job cleaning this mess up.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  6. Jburns

Jburns Premium Subscriber

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    Close the account- that number is compromised

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. chrisphilipps

chrisphilipps Merchant Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Wharton, NJ
    If they transferred the money to the chase account and you got the chase debit card in the mail my guess would be they probably were going to try and steal the debit card from your mail box. This way it would still look like you did it and make it harder to track them down.

8. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    A similar situation, although in my favor.
    I get a tracking number from UPS for my shipments. Uh...what shipments! I haven't ordered anything. Sure enough I look at my checking account and find misc charges totaling roughly 40 -$60 for various amazon items. My bank reimbursed me the funds and issued a new debit card. A few days go by and I get free wireless earbuds and some cables that I have no need for. I don't even have a need for the earbuds but hey...dumb arses.

p.s. cancelled my amazon account by phone too.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 4
  9. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
  10. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    UPDATE.
    I finally got ahold of someone at Chase. The $1000 was still in the account. I hauled *** to the bank, Talked to the manager, and as soon as I activated the Chase debit card he quickly did a cash advance on it, got my money back. closed all of my accounts, and opened new ones. I cut my IPhone off, went and bought a new Android. changed all of my passwords to everything I could think of, got in touch with the 3 credit bureaus.

After all of that, I still don't feel safe.

11. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Did you FREEZE all three credit reports? That is the only way to shut down new credit. Sounds like you did the right thing on all the other steps, glad you got your $$ back

12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Get the credit karma app, check it weekly. I was a little leary initially, but I had to have it to improve my credit to buy my house. My old landlord was a banker and recommended it to me, so I figured it can't be a scam, right? I think I've signed up for 3 credit cards through the app over the past 5 years, which I suppose could be viewed as a pro or con...

13. IsItFasst

IsItFasst Member

Jan 16, 2008
    USA
    As others have said: "Freeze your credit" through all 3 credit bureaus. This is identity theft. My girlfriend had it happen to her a few years ago and you will start getting all kinds of cards you didn't sign up for along with all kinds of credit denials. Hacker just needs to get approved under your name. Once it is approved they make their own cards and charge up and withdraw whatever they want. It won't stop until you freeze your account I can tell you that. And like JBurton said get a credit monitoring app so you can see what is going on with your credit in case this happens again.

Curious to know why the change from Apple to Android? Normally for security it is the other way around.

14. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

I suspect the apple to android was to stop having any of his banking associated with his apple account

15. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    Any time i log in to my bank account from a new device my bank will text a security code to my phone.
    That code has to be entered into the new device to gain access.

I was sitting in my recliner, watching TV when I received a text from the bank.
    I was not logging in. I thought it was weird.
    The next day, once I saw the first $500 missing, i went to the bank. They said I logged in from a new device, they sent the code, and I entered the code.....They could see all of this. They knew the IP addresses and device models, and everything.

I said I did NOT enter the code.
    Well someone did. That is the only way access could be gained. That code had to be entered.

Well.....That means someone else seen the text.

I started searching for apps, where I could see other peoples text messages.
    I found several apps that you could do this with.
    In order to do it to an Android You have to physically have the target phone in your hand to download a secret app on it.

In order to see texts from am IPhone all you have to do is hack their email, and get their apple ID.

once this is done, you can see all Texts, pictures, all keystrokes, files, everything.

Thats why the switch back to Android.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 2
  16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Ok, so just to point out, with Android you can remote install apps onto your phone from your google account. With iphone the monitoring is built directly in. Both hinge on securing your device on your end by securing your email.
    So first and foremost, change your email password and turn on two step identification. If you haven't done this yet, I fear the hackers may have done it themselves, locking you out.

17. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I get more of the feeling that he's a chat robot. Anybody remember Smarter Child, you could chat with this bot and it would just respond with your question along with lines like, "How does it make you feel that (insert your words here)"

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. /
    I can see how it seems that way, but I have been following the links on the member's tag line and they are actively developing web content.

What we have here is a failure to communicate how and why a 40 year sign veteran, who seems to have never run or owned their own shop, is qualified to address the business owners and real professionals on this forum with advice.

No proof of having done anything in 40 years in the industry other than learning how to listen. I think we are dealing with a know-it-all person we might hire for table work and then later fire because they kept telling us we didn't know what we were doing and always had a better way to do things from their singularly myoptic interpretion of how a shop should operate (most likely spent 40 years jumping from franchise to franchise). We have seen no examples of work that this individual has produced and aside from talking about xacto Z blades has shown no real expertise in the slightest in regard to the trade we all love and get by on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020