• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scam Emails

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I'm sure we've all at some point, received an email from Ken Brown asking for either a couple thousands blank tees or a few hundred banners with religious messages on them. It's pretty clear they're scams because we've dealt with them and heard about them. I got a new an email the other day and it didn't seem fishy until we started getting more details from the potential customer. Here's the first email:

"Hello,

I want to know if you can provide high quality full color outdoor signboard. I would also love to know if you accept credit card as a means of payment.

Warm Regards."

Of course it came from a Gmail account, but that's pretty normal nowadays. Replied back that yes we make them. They sent a picture of a monumental sign, said they wanted 30 of them for a company called New Stone Excellence Foods Services Inc. (which is the oddest name I've ever seen, it doesn't even make sense). I got back to them with a couple questions and now they're saying they have a shipper and just want a cost for the signs because they want to pay with credit card.

It always seems that these scams are that way. They always want a total so they can whip out a credit card.

Any one else experience anything like this? I've never seen anything sign related like this before.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They seem to be pretty much the norm these days. Instead of someone coming in, waving a gun and demanding money, they've taken to this sorta thing.

As their English and reasoning gets better, it harder to recognize them at first. Ya just hafta be careful when ya get any e-mails requesting more than just a quote. Once they want information as to doing business and such, it goes 'South' from there.

DerbyCitySignGuy

They've hit almost every other industry, it was only a matter of time.

Is this the scam where they ask you to pay their shipping agent?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
That's what I figured. I can normally pick them out right away; I've been doing this long enough. This one just caught me off guard.

DerbyCitySignGuy

New Stone Excellence Foods Services Inc. has ZERO web presence, which is generally a pretty good indicator that it's a scam. In this day and age EVERYBODY has a website or a social media presence.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I queried it once I started getting suspicious and came to the same conclusion.

New Stone Excellence Foods Services Inc. has ZERO web presence, which is generally a pretty good indicator that it's a scam. In this day and age EVERYBODY has a website or a social media presence.

gabagoo

On Friday I received 5 viral emails within a 15 minute period all from different people and they were a resume all for the same person.... I open nothing anymore. The viral email attachments could seriously be a good thing for the post office, which is in serious trouble these days Can't trust email anymore...I bet they are the ones doing it!!1 lol:banghead:

Get Lucky

As having my a lawyer as a wife I always wanted to write up a contract and that said the refund we be distributed in something like 5 years with only 50% being refunded. Would also have to add something like money only returned by means it was revived.

teldakak

I received the same e-mail

I received the same e-mail, I requested more information about their company, they sent back my e-mail with no comments.
Tarek

I'm sure we've all at some point, received an email from Ken Brown asking for either a couple thousands blank tees or a few hundred banners with religious messages on them. It's pretty clear they're scams because we've dealt with them and heard about them. I got a new an email the other day and it didn't seem fishy until we started getting more details from the potential customer. Here's the first email:

"Hello,

I want to know if you can provide high quality full color outdoor signboard. I would also love to know if you accept credit card as a means of payment.

Warm Regards."

Of course it came from a Gmail account, but that's pretty normal nowadays. Replied back that yes we make them. They sent a picture of a monumental sign, said they wanted 30 of them for a company called New Stone Excellence Foods Services Inc. (which is the oddest name I've ever seen, it doesn't even make sense). I got back to them with a couple questions and now they're saying they have a shipper and just want a cost for the signs because they want to pay with credit card.

It always seems that these scams are that way. They always want a total so they can whip out a credit card.

Any one else experience anything like this? I've never seen anything sign related like this before.

2B

Anytime they ask if credit cards are accepted that always raises a BIG RED flag

Nuagedesigns

Yup.....Got the same email from 2 different GMAIL accts with the name logan in both addresses....DELETE..On to real business.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Just swipe the card as a capture and hold. The merchant services provider will hold the "funds" for up to 15 days to determine if its valid. Then you can either accept it or send it back.... We do this on transactions that don't sit right even in presence.

ExecuPrintGS

We got another one for 80 banners yesterday, and though my boss got excited over the thought of the order i was suspicious.

We ended up just deleting the email and going on with business.