• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

screen color does not match print

Wrapdup

Purchased a used mutoh 1614 and when designing on the pc we have all the colors how we want them, but when printed they are different. What is the adjuatment or calibration we need to be doing called?

SignBurst PCs

You should probably educate yourself on:

Monitor Profiles / Calibration

RIP / Print Profiles

It can be a pretty long process, but it is worth it in the long run. It looks (sounds) like you are new to the business, but matching colors can be frustrating if not done correctly.

Wrapdup

This is a long story, but to make it short it involves me and a business partner who is the "educated" one. He has fallen on some hard times and diagnosed with some serious health problems about a couple months into going into business.

Having said that, I'm just looking for some direction as I do not know all the in's and outs yet. Thanks for any help.

Custom_Grafx

That's why I asked that to start off with.

If you don't know what it is, or how to do it, or whether or not your screen is calibrated, my only next step is to direct you to Casey's advice.

The process is as follows;

1) if you don't already have one, buy an i1
2) calibrate your monitor
3) linearise your printer
4) calibrate your total ink limits
4) create a custom colour profile for your media and resolution/settings
5) "soft proof" in your graphics application to see a preview of your print as close as possible to the real thing (note, it will never be exactly the same as on your screen).
6) print with the same colour management settings as you are previewing with.

This is a generalised answer to your problem. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to your problem. (not without sitting next to you and seeing it myself anyway).

CS-SignSupply-TT

Calibration!

That's why I asked that to start off with.

If you don't know what it is, or how to do it, or whether or not your screen is calibrated, my only next step is to direct you to Casey's advice.

The process is as follows;

1) if you don't already have one, buy an i1
2) calibrate your monitor
3) linearise your printer
4) calibrate your total ink limits
4) create a custom colour profile for your media and resolution/settings
5) "soft proof" in your graphics application to see a preview of your print as close as possible to the real thing (note, it will never be exactly the same as on your screen).
6) print with the same colour management settings as you are previewing with.

This is a generalised answer to your problem. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to your problem. (not without sitting next to you and seeing it myself anyway).

+1 I HIGHLY recommend the X-Rite end to end solution. You must know at the outset, CALIBRATION requires an investment of time and money.

Mosh

Duh, you need to print out a color chart from you printer and go off that, even a calibrated screen will not be 100% spot on.

CS-SignSupply-TT

That too +1.

A simple way to at least get close... unless you're dealing with a photo...
+1 a foundational step that allows you to show your customer the colors available on that particular media. Once the customer "points to the color and says THAT ONE", then you are both assured that the color delivered is the right color. Produce color charts for the top five media you print on.

Custom_Grafx

If you don't have the time or patience for learning this thing called colour management, which is what you're after, there are also people available who do it for a living. They are not cheap, but will visit you, calibrate your machine and even explain to you about the whole process.

Try googling "colour management consultant" or "colour calibration services" and you should find someone local.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When you say it's off, do you mean a purple looks blue... or a brown looks maroon or are we splitting hairs and you are at 98 out of a 100 just not dead balls on ??

Some color manipulation just isn't possible and it will vary from profile to profile.

The very first thing I would do is find some common colors like reds, blues, browns and so on.... kinda like a Crayola crayon pack and print all the colors out and see which ones are off a little or entirely a different color. Next, instead of fixing it yet, go through all of your profiles with the matching media and see if they are all off the same in each of the profiles. We've had experiences of using the wrong profile with the wrong media and finding out, the colors weren't off, but the profiles were out of whack.

I don't know how true this is, but even using one brand of banner material will vary when using another manufacturers of the same stuff. Supposedly, they all have their own profiles.

After you figure out what is off, then if you want to calibrate everything go ahead, but there are still some other things you can do before calibrating your system.

Remember, if you're doing the artwork from scratch, you'll have a pretty good chance of everything working out. However, the vast majority of files come in from so many sources and regardless of how well your system is color calibrated for monitor to wide format printers to your desk top printer.... it won't mean squat if your customer sees a different color on their monitor. You can complain til you're blue in the face.... PMS 286, but if they give you something and in their heads it has to be PMS 280, you're always gonna be wrong.

There are programs out there which will in fact, print out the color you've chosen on your system and will print out about 100 or 200 close matches in all directions. This is by far the best way for someone to choose their color if they are finicky. We do it all the time.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Color management

If you don't have the time or patience for learning this thing called colour management, which is what you're after, there are also people available who do it for a living. They are not cheap, but will visit you, calibrate your machine and even explain to you about the whole process.

Try googling "colour management consultant" or "colour calibration services" and you should find someone local.

+1 If time is money and you do not want to learn the art of color management, hire it out!

summit graphics

Pantone Huey Stick

go to office depot and drop a hundred on the pantone huey stick. It will automatically adjust the monitor to pms colors and also adjust for lighting. Unless a customer gives you a specific pantone color, its hard to match "Blue".
Print out color charts for the 2 or 3 materials that you use and put them in a binder for your customers to look at.