• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

screen print posetives on a roland solvent

petepaz

just read a thread asking about printing posetives for screen printing
and a few people said they print them off their roland machines
what material are you using

Last edited:

Illuminated

I dont think this will work with this machine
But maybe im doin something wrong maybe im using the wrong material or profile
have you experimented at all ? I like to print halftone dots alot and this wont work with VERSA WORKS .....so I just gave up! ...recently I notice my supply selling a epson printer for film +'s and it was like $549 r1900 ....I just cant belive the roland couldnt do it!

Doyle

Yeah, I'm curious about printing halftones as well.... versaworks is a postscript rip software, should it be capable of generating halftones?

We have customers using the pigment ink in SP models... using the black only. This is working well and the RIP is done in flexi (better half tones)

Service Sign Co

I'm not familiar with Roland or Versaworks,one would seemingly think it should be able to print halftones,but even with the enormous amount of printers out there,I still have a reasonably large base of customers that want Edge positives for screen printing

Drip Dry

I haven't had much success with printing a positive. Always had the issue of it not being able to print black enough.

Illuminated

ccv2 ...so this stuff has permanent adhesive? do you have a hard time pulling it back off the screen? Do you bump up you passes for the print?

southpawP8NTR

Use it everyday on my roland. Do all my halftones in photoshop and print in high quality in two passes. One pass you have to watch your exposure time. I use an InteliCoat product but dont have the numbers right now.

gnatt66

i'm watching this thread closely, once i have a little more $$ i plan on getting the 4 color press i recently acquired up and running.

Screenanator

Tough to beat an Epson 3000and FASTRip.....tried and true.....We have a VP-540 just for doing signs but we also use Solutions Opaque and Clear for T-shirts from time to time. But the Epson 3000 and our Epson R1900 (with all blacks and Accurip)smoke what the Roland and Flexi can do.....just my .02

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I tried with our Roland and the edge with mixed results. I ended up getting a dedicated epson 4880 with wasatch softrip and it lays down a consistant black. The 1800/1900 epsons are great inexpensive printers too but it is all about the rip.

visualeyez

Make your halftones in your design software. I overprint x2 with a solid RGB black mix from versaworks onto clear velum or acetate or whatever overhead projector plastic is called on our SP540V with no problems.

Steve Werner

There are three companies producing the films right now that I know of: Mitsubishi Films, Kimototech, and MacDermid Autotype. Depending on what ink you use and whether or not it's dye or pigment based determines what type of film you use.

Steve Werner

Oops, missed that you said you use a solvent printer. KimotoTech has a new film they believe might work with solvent. I haven't trialed it yet. I believe it's their SC-4 or UC-5

Patco

On the CCV2, just print your positive, let it dry and expose on your screen. Don't separate the backing, leave it as one piece of film. I use Flexi and overprint 2, CMYK black.

Screenanator

Kimoto is the ONLY brand in our shop period.We found it to be the best high saturation film out there.To make it waterproof if we are keeping it we just shooot some artist fixative(i.e. clear) over it.....good luck

Johan Daniel

Printing Positives on Film to then expose for litho plate printing

I was thinking on how to print my own positives and then expose the film to plate to run on my 4 color and 1 color litho press.

so is it possible to print these films with my Roland SP540v? and if so, some advise on settings, material and so forth will be appreciated.

Regards,

danky01

I have used my Roland VS-300. At first I tried printing on clear window clear, had it do 2 passes. It did OK but not great. Then I ordered some of the film used in the ink jets and it worked like a charm. Just make sure you give it plenty of time to dry.

I not physically able to screen print anymore so I haven't done it in a while but it does work.

Dan

Johan Daniel

Dan

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the reply. You would not perhaps now the name of the material that you used? And maybe advise on some settings used back then?