• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screenprinter Making Jump to UV - Help!

MarkH42

In addition to some digital printing, our company also does screen printing on vinyl and polystyrene. At the current time we use Nazdar 9700 series solvent inks, but the toxic fumes are probably shaving years off of our lives, not to mention the hassle of drying racks. I have been wanting to make the jump to UV and I feel pretty comfortable with what it is going to take as far as higher mesh counts and what type of UV ink we may want to use, but I need the right UV oven. I would prefer to buy a good used piece of equipment, but I'm not sure about speed, millijouls, milliwatts, and all that other techinical jargon that I should probably know. There is a 23" wide (plenty wide for what we do) SCS unit on eBay, but is it powerful enough? fast enough? I'm hoping one or more of you can help me shed some light (no pun intended) on my situation. Most of what we do is simple one color stuff, but we occasionally print 2 and 3 color jobs with some overlap in the inks. I realize UV inks aren't harmless, but they should be a HUGE improvement over what we are doing now. I have to stop now....getting dizzy from the fumes...