• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Searching for Polarized Clear Acrylic or Adhesive Film

IDB Signs

Hello, all!

We are searching for a solution for glare when viewing exterior clear acrylic. Unfortunately we aren't able to use the P12 or P99 acrylics, beause there needs to be optical clarity all the way through the sign.

Does anyone know of a polarized clear acrylic, or perhaps a film or spray that we could apply to the sheet?

Thanks in advance!

MikePro

curious if you've found anything..... as p99 has always been my solution, or applying a satin/matte overlaminate, but you'll have that slightly chalky light-matte cloudiness when viewing through the acrylic. I see no resources for polarized acrylic sheets, just small applications like eyeglasses & camera lenses.

Andy D

How big is the sign? I would go to a window tinting forum and ask there, I would think that would be more their forte.

IDB Signs

Just an update- we weren't able to find a solution. Most of the polarizing products we came across were either for sunglass or camera lenses.

Our first idea was using the P99, but this particular project called for a clear, glass-like finish. It is still in the works, but the current plan and budget is just continuing with standard clear with the glare.

I will call and check into a tint shop just to see, thanks! If I learn anything new, I'll post it here. Thanks again for the replys!

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
If I learn anything new, I'll post it here.
If you experiment with any two polarized films or glass, you will learn their properties and then decide the materials will not be of use to you for the application.

I say two polarized films or glass because...
1) A single filter will only diminish the reflective or transmissive light value by a great percentage and will not reduce glare as you hope.
2) If an observer person were to be wearing polarized eye glasses, the effect of the two polarizers could actually be seen as almost entirely black.

You can find polarized films and glass at the Edmund Scientific or Edmund Optics website.