• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Seeking a waiver for installing sign without permit

gmarshall

I have a client that is wanting me to install a banner 20' x 30' without a sign permit. We are licensed in the city but I am wondering if I would be exposed to fines from the city for installing the banner without a permit. I was wondering about getting a waiver to give to my client stating it is their responsibility to secure the permit and I will produce and install the banner. Any feedback is appreciated.

PRS Bryan

Possibly pissing off the city you work in for one customer who does't think that they need to play by the rules? You are seriously considering this?

Tell him to find someone else to do the install.

Baz

Not your city our country but i had quite an experience a few years ago regarding large banners.

I went back and forth for almost a month with my city's (Ottawa) Permanent signs By-law officer and the Temporary signs by-law officer (yeah two different departments)
Banners did not fall under the permanent signs department since they do not fit the criteria and since i was leaving it up for more than 6 months it was not considered a temporary sign either.

So i have it in an email that i keep that is a response from one of the by-law officers stating that they would not act upon it unless there was a complaint lodged by a citizen.

Whenever i get a request for a large banner and the customer asks about permits. They get a copy of my email.
I have a few customers that do not want to take the risk of spending so much money on a chance that someone would complain.
I have however, a very large customer that goes ahead regardless and they have banners that have been installed over 4 years now with no problems.

Nothing to add the the OP's question. Just a story that came to mind reading this.

Drip Dry

Same story here. A few years ago, the sign inspector told me if I put up a sign without a permit, make sure that it is in code. If they
get a complaint, they can apply for the permit.

I guess once the recession hit, there must be a lot of complaints because, now the entire sign dept is all over town giving out summonses. They even came after me for having more than one sign.

bannertime

We've been told the same thing here in Texas, they only go after violators if there was a complaint or they get permission to go after certain businesses. We get frequent visits from code compliance and every time they leave dazed and confused. They took a 40 hour course and still don't know anything about our city ordinance, regarding signage. We point out clear violators in our area and they act like they've never seen it, and months later that business is still in violation.

That being said, there are a few good options listed already. I'll add that the city probably won't care unless death or injury occurs and then they'd protect themselves saying you didn't go through proper channels.

Marlene

why doesn't the customer want to get a permit? does he know something you don't and knows it won't pass? permits are just part of doing business and I wonder when someone doesn't want to do what is required

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why do you think a banner at 20' x 30' might or might not require a permit....... because the customer said so ??

You, and anyone else here can have all the waivers and mumbo jumbo signed, dated and notarized ya want..... it still doesn't make it legal for YOU to go up and do something illegal. Usually the person committing the illegal project is who will be fined or jailed.

Hey Johnny..... I want you to go knock off Louie tonight.
Will you sign this, please ??
Sure.......................... :rolleyes:
Okay, now I feel better. At least you'll take the blame if I get caught.

d fleming

If it requires permitting, do not do it without. Period. You are the professional. In good 'ol Florida we call people doing contract work without permitting or licensing inmates.