• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Self Adhesive Installation Problem

amprintny

Hey Guys,

I recently installed a vinyl graphic on a storefront wall.
The wall was a metal sheet that was painted over.
I cleaned the area then applied the graphic wet.

The held for about 2 weeks, but now is starting to peel.
Is there a way to save the graphic without pulling it all off and reprinting it?

Thanks in advance!
IMAG1453.jpg

MikePro

I'm not sure what type of vinyl, I'll find out now.

problem#1 right there. if you don't know what it is, then how did you know how to install it?
if a grey adhesive vinyl, you should never wet apply. otherwise, unless it's calendared vinyl/laminate that is shrinking already, it could be any number of installer errors including surface prep/assesment or paint being softened by the wet application and never adhering properly.

o, and welcome to s101, from Wisconsin! :Welcome:

amprintny

I don't have a printer on site, I send my vinyl out for print.
My buddy said that it was printed on Mageland Vinyl on a roland soljet.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds to me like the paint is latex instead of enamel and the silicone content is causing it to peel. The fix is to remove the graphic and spray on clear, outdoor polyurethane. Then, after proper dry time, apply a new graphic.

amprintny

Fred, my client said they used oil based paint on the front.
Does this change anything?

Thanks for all your help so far.

MikePro

I don't have a printer on site, I send my vinyl out for print.
My buddy said that it was printed on Mageland Vinyl on a roland soljet.

calendared vinyl. there ya go.
you can save it, just trim-back the perimeter by 1/4" and use 1/2" cast vinyl strips to "frame" it, overlapping the print and sealing it to the panel.. dry apply, should be easy to do by-hand with just an xacto knife.