• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Serial cable requirements for CNC

choucove

I've been trying to search through old posts to confirm the details, but so far have been unsuccessful.

Recently our shop purchased a used MultiCam 48 Plus and we are needing to get a computer and new software to finish setting up the table. I noticed this CNC table has a serial port connector which I imagine is the controller connector, but I recall hearing before in the past that there is a specific type of cable or serial port adapter that I need to get to make this work right.

The computer that we are currently looking to run this CNC router does not have an integrated serial port, and doesn't have a PCI slot either (only PCI Express x16 for the graphics card and PCI Express x1 for an add-in card.) Can we use just a regular PCI Express x1 port adapter card, or even a USB to Serial adapter? Is there a length limitation that we need to be worried about on this cable as we are looking to locate the computer about 25 feet to 35 feet away from the actual table.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
We used to have a Unix box with several dumb terminals for our POS/Invoicing/Workflow system. The terminals were connected to the Unix box via ethernet cables with serial adapters at each end. A couple of the cable runs were over 100' and we had no problems.

choucove

We used to have a Unix box with several dumb terminals for our POS/Invoicing/Workflow system. The terminals were connected to the Unix box via ethernet cables with serial adapters at each end. A couple of the cable runs were over 100' and we had no problems.

I've had to use a USB to Ethernet adapter before to connect and run a plotter that was about 50 feet from the computer. Normally a USB cable over 15 feet in length will cause communication errors, but if you're using ethernet as an extender you can get a lot better length out of it. I'm just wondering if a single null modem serial cable of like 25 feet will 1) be long enough without needing to use like a 25 foot serial cable extender and 2) cause communication errors with the CNC router if it is longer than say 25 feet or so.

Is the best way just to get a serial to ethernet adapter for both ends? I'm pretty sure I need to have a null modem serial cable for connecting the devices, correct?

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Is the best way just to get a serial to ethernet adapter for both ends? I'm pretty sure I need to have a null modem serial cable for connecting the devices, correct?

As I recall, you can get the adapters in both configs. So, you would get one regular one and one null one.

Or just add a separate null adapter at one end.

gerald

I would ad the serial card. You can then run it farther. Serial connection can run much farther that USB. I have an axyz router and added a serial card to my latest computer as the motherboard did not have one onboard.

Also, if you want to take a look at the instructions for the motherboard or pull the cover off the PC, it may have a serial output and all you need is a conector to run out the back. You would need a layout to the motherbaord though to connect it properly.

choucove

The PC that will be running this plotter is a Shuttle micro computer, and I know that the motherboard on this system doesn't include a COM port output adapter. In the end here I've purchased a Rosewill PCI-Express x1 add-on card, a 25-foot null modem serial cable, and a spare 15-foot extension serial cable just in case that first cable isn't long enough to route properly.

Hopefully all of this should work fine!