• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Serial Port

captainron19

My computer crashed so I have to buy a new desktop - my current plotter connects via a 9 pin serial port (male on the back of desktop) all new computers now do not come with that connection.

I can probably install one when I get my new PC but would I be ok using a serial to USB adapter? Just not sure if the communication will be ok with using an adapter.

Williams Signs

Never had any luck with usb to serial adapter. You may need to order one special built from someone or buy the parts and build one your self. You might check online and see if you can still get a pci serial card.

Todd M Castle

add in a serial card..

This would be the best option. If you don't want to add a card and want to try a USB serial Adapter only buy the Keyspan adapter part # USA-19HS. This adapter seems to be the one that works best with plotters and computers.

Good Luck.

AusAndy

Only USB to serial converter I have ever used with any success is the ones using FTDI chipset. Not sure where you would buy them in the US, but there is an aussie mob that sells them online called dontronics.

captainron19

Thanks guys I did end up getting a new serial pci card and installed it today - once I got everything installed I went in to Flexi to send a test cut.

2 Weird things are happening...

1. Typed a set of test word and in the preview before sending it the orientation of the text was normal (left to right) so I send it to plotter but it cuts it vertical. If I change the orientation before sending it to the plotter to vertical then it cuts it in the correct orientation (horizontal)

2. The other weird thing is... after I send the job to the plotter I cannot use my online button on the plotter any more to set if offline and advance the vinyl through. Th eonly way I can set the plotter to go offline is to shut it down and restart.

Seems like there is some sort of communication problem but I cannot figure it out.... any ideas? Am I missing a setting in Flexi?

captainron19

I am using the same serial cable that I have been using for the last 5 years - I think I know what the problem is.... I never setup the correct configuration in Flexi - I am using a JSI P24 cutter (which is not in the list of cutters) I cannot remember which substitute cutter to use (know it is a Graphtec but cannot remember exaclty which one) waiting for tech support to come back from lunch