• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Serial vs USB Connection

captainron19

So I have an old JSI Cutter - JSIP24 that I believe is mimicked off of the Creation CTN630

Anyway..... have to get a new PC and wanted to get an All in One and I have always used a serial port but All in Ones do not come with a serial port and not sure if I can even install one on there. Has anyone ever been involved with a similar situation and used a serial to USB adapter and did it work ok?

timgo

Graphics Designer
So I have an old JSI Cutter - JSIP24 that I believe is mimicked off of the Creation CTN630

Anyway..... have to get a new PC and wanted to get an All in One and I have always used a serial port but All in Ones do not come with a serial port and not sure if I can even install one on there. Has anyone ever been involved with a similar situation and used a serial to USB adapter and did it work ok?

You can use your JSI Cutter - JSIP24 with any PC with any Windows version. But your software driver must be compitable with your windows version.

captainron19

You can use your JSI Cutter - JSIP24 with any PC with any Windows version. But your software driver must be compitable with your windows version.

Currently using Windows 10 and it works fine with that.... not a concern - was just curious about the serial to USB Adapter

bannertime

You'll be fine as long as you get a decent one with accessible drivers. Tripp Lite and Cables To Go are pretty popular. I picked up one from Amazon by a company called Cable Matters. I think it's rebranded but it's been flawless for about a year now. Runs a 60in plotter on a 20ft serial cable off Windows 7. You may have to go from db-25 to db-9 to usb.