• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Serious? Notice the salary..

TammieH

[h=2]From Craigs List....

We are a wholesale signage fabricator that is in need of a full time sign painter. Experience is helpful but anyone with an art background and would enjoy detailed painting in a high volume shop is welcome to apply. This is a fulltime, first shift position with a scheduled 40 hour week.
[/h]
Requirements

Must be 18 years or older.
Have reliable means of transportation.
Pass drug screen.
Provide work and personal references.
Able to lift 70lbs.

We offer

40 hour work week
Paid Vacations and Holidays
Drug free workplace

• Compensation: 9.00 Hour
  • Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
  • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

AUTO-FX

Wow, thats nuts.
But I've seen ads for Graphics designers, where they want you to be proficient with Adobe Photoshop , Dreamweaver, Quark, all Microsoft office products, and all kinds of crap, have a 4 year degree, and wear a doggone suit and tie, and they want to provide compensation around 25-30K

Sickening

Craig Sjoquist

sees that in Orlando all the time, some range as high as $12 a hour but requirements are enormous amounts of software & website knowledge Plus everything else,

Yeah right go to ..Full Sail University here for thousands & years for $10 a hour, you can go work at Walmart & make $12 a hour sweeping floors or a stocker within a fairly short period of time

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I still liked the guy who told me he doesn't let his graphic designers touch a computer or a job for the first year and would be required to sweep the shop, clean up and do supply work/prep work ...........

but that is about average for a craigslist post.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
sees that in Orlando all the time, some range as high as $12 a hour but requirements are enormous amounts of software & website knowledge Plus everything else,

Yeah right go to ..Full Sail University here for thousands & years for $10 a hour, you can go work at Walmart & make $12 a hour sweeping floors or a stocker within a fairly short period of time

Full sail in orlando is about $50k

and yeah, when I still lived there ... i saw some crappy income ranges. one place wanted 10 years of experience for a lead graphic designer as well as knowing everything and requiring it to be part managerial ... $9/hr

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It would be nice if every college degree included a minimum of two semesters of entrepreneurial training. There's nothing more shameful than stuffing a head full of knowledge only to see it get used at the local checkout stand.

SignosaurusRex

It's Dayton Washington (for crying out loud)... little burg in the middle of nowhere (bumf@#cted) Eastern Wa. Unfortunately $9 p/h is nothing to sneeze at there.

Locals Find!

Wages are always relative. In my area you can live comfortably off 30k a year. You won't be living high on the hog but, that will get you a moderate 3 bedroom home a couple of late model or lower priced cars (think Kia), and enough to cover your bills (Electric, water, insurance, etc...).

Now that same salary say, in New York won't even allow you to think about owning a car or living in a decent part of town. So, don't judge a salary based on just the figure. It's all about the buying power those dollars give you.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
honestly, the ad isn't asking for any experience. good starter job for some 18 yr old kid living at home and doesn't want to go to college and spend $100,000 in education just to work as a checkout clerk.......its called starting at the bottom, something this nation seems to have forgotten...

Baz

How many times have you encountered a person looking for work and they say they can do oh so many things ... You hire them at an experienced level wage and then you find out they don't know crap. Maybe this offer is for starters and after a trial period the wage can be adjusted to the actual employee's level? This ad seems like good business sense to me. Wouldn't pass in Canada though since our minimum wage is at 10.00$

Locals Find!

How many times have you encountered a person looking for work and they say they can do oh so many things ... You hire them at an experienced level wage and then you find out they don't know crap. Maybe this offer is for starters and after a trial period the wage can be adjusted to the actual employee's level? This ad seems like good business sense to me. Wouldn't pass in Canada though since our minimum wage is at 10.00$

Minimum wage is really that high up there?? Wow, that explains why I have been seeing more Canadians buying businesses and property in my area. The cost of living must really be horrendous compared to Florida. Once, you throw in warm weather, no state income tax and fairly low taxes overall.

Baz

Minimum wage is really that high up there?? Wow, that explains why I have been seeing more Canadians buying businesses and property in my area. The cost of living must really be horrendous compared to Florida. Once, you throw in warm weather, no state income tax and fairly low taxes overall.

Cost of living is higher up here and we have the added expenses that come with allot of winter weather. As far as Canadians buying up property that's not unique. Many European's are also buying property. Especially since the housing crisis. Prices have gone up since then though so i don't know if foreigners are buying at the same rate as a few years ago. I can say for Canada that we have not been hit nearly as hard as you guys have been. Allot less in my opinion. I have a close friend who bought two houses in Florida. One he rents to locals and the other is his vacation home.

His main complaint: Seems like government, insurance agencies and other services are always trying to fleece him for more money and permit troubles than what many locals go through. He feels used. Feels like even illegal immigrants have an easyer time than a foreigner trying to invest money and do things legally. It's a good thing the weather is nice and hot ... Makes it worth it i guess.

Want to add: Your not going to see a Canadian making 10.00$ minimum wage buy a vacation house in Florida ...

OldPaint

the add says FULL TIME SIGN PAINTER.................$9.00 AN HOUR??? i dont think they will get a SIGN PAINTER, of any quality for that price.
also ARE THERE ANY NEW ONES???? most SIGN PAINTERS........i know are old))))))

CanuckSigns

$10.25 in Ontario, with talks of raising it to $12

Locals Find!

Cost of living is higher up here and we have the added expenses that come with allot of winter weather. As far as Canadians buying up property that's not unique. Many European's are also buying property. Especially since the housing crisis. Prices have gone up since then though so i don't know if foreigners are buying at the same rate as a few years ago. I can say for Canada that we have not been hit nearly as hard as you guys have been. Allot less in my opinion. I have a close friend who bought two houses in Florida. One he rents to locals and the other is his vacation home.

His main complaint: Seems like government, insurance agencies and other services are always trying to fleece him for more money and permit troubles than what many locals go through. He feels used. Feels like even illegal immigrants have an easyer time than a foreigner trying to invest money and do things legally. It's a good thing the weather is nice and hot ... Makes it worth it i guess.

Want to add: Your not going to see a Canadian making 10.00$ minimum wage buy a vacation house in Florida ...

I didn't think I was seeing minimum wage workers here. However, I have seen large Canadian investment in businesses. I think we look fairly attractive economically to many of them based on the low wages you can get away with paying here that make for a healthier profit. Also, cause you guys didn't get hit as hard as us, many of your higher earners have more available cash.

I do know the IRS did put some new rules in place regarding foreign investment. I have heard quite a bit of complaining about that. Also, some new rule about having to move the money into a US Bank account and not allowing foreign wire transfers for cash sale deals. In my opinion its all about the government getting their share.

As for the illegals getting an easier time. In many cases that is true. Some politicians in the state are barely legal themselves and really grease the wheels for certain classes of illegal aliens.

C

ColoPrinthead

Thats hourly, not salary. It's been interesting seeing job postings since 2008 that more or less ask for 5 years experience in the requirements that end by stating it's an entry level position paying between $9-12. Employers have certainly made the best of the recession and I'm glad to see it coming to an end around my parts.