• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Set CJV30-130 to print White Ink

andybonny

Hi,

I've inherited a CJV30-130 printer whch is configuer to run CCMMYYKK. We use it for basic posters, canvases and vinyl stickers. I know it's capable of much more.

I'm trying to find out how I set it up to print using white ink. What is the sequence to set up the ink and teach the printer that I'm using white. From what I've read i need other inks in the other 3 cartridge slots (CMYK???W).

I know tis will sloe the print speed - how involved is the re-config and how time consuming to set it back to CCMMYYKK?

Thanks,

Andy

If you need to change the ink setup you'll need cleaning cartridges for the 4 channels, as far as i know there is no CMYKWWWW option, only CMYK+Lc+Lm+W you may leave the 8th channel unused or use metallic inks if my memory serves well, anyway you can look up on their site which configuration is available.

You need to know though that white comes in 220 cc cartridges and it's 2x more expensive than normal ink, if you don't use it at all it'll still go away with cleaning cycles in less than a year. If you want to print on clear media you'll need to print a white base under EVERYTHING so white is consumed the fastest and costs the most.

You can opt for light colors instead like CMYK+Lc+Lm+Lk+Or which gives you smoother gradients (especially gray gradients) and almost photo quality on 720 dpi but reduces print speed by 50%

I wouldn't search for trouble with white ink if I were you :)

The whole switching process takes about 4 hours and you'll need to get a tech to do it properly. (1/4 of the new ink will be flushed away on the setup and another 1/4 will need to be printed to clean out the cleaning fluid completely)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I know I sound like a broken record when I say this but white ink almost never works out for people. It costs more and slows the machine down but more importantly is no one ever uses it as much as they think they are going to and it clogs the head and you just wasted a bunch of time and money. Not only that but since you will never use it, it will just eventually empty due to cleaning cycles which is literally like flushing money down the drain.

Ewded made a bunch of good points but I wanted to point out that, while the newer CJV150/300s have an option for light black and orange, the CJV30s do not. If you do decide to go with white on the CJV30, the only setup available is CMYK LC LM WW or CMYK LC LM WS. Also, the CJV30 does not have a re-circulation system which makes it even worse for white inks.

andybonny

Very helpful information. I am one of these people who see a new feature and want to try it. I don't have a customer who requites it so now, knowing the expense involved, will find it very hard persuading my boss to slash out on a costly venture.

Forgive me now as I have more beginner questions regarding my CJV30-150 which I'll fire off ovre the next few weeks.

Thanks again.