• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Severe Bubbles on Layered Vinyl

TheShirtBox

I recently installed some multi-colored logos on a van and some doors for a friend of mine and there are a LOT of bubbles. I used the layering technique for the multiple colors and many of the bubbles appear to be between the layers of vinyl, not underneath the vinyl on the surface.

So I am wondering if there is a good way to speed up the bubble removal process? I have installed a lot of vinyl, but this has been the worst bubbling I have seen yet. I know usually bubbles will bake out in the sun, but I don't think they're very happy with how bubbly it is... :banghead:

I guess I can offer to do it over again... But it was a substantial amount of vinyl and I'd rather fix it if I can... Thanks for any advice.

BTW: Vinyl is Oracal 651, transfer tape is Clear Choice AT-60

AUTO-FX

It needs to get warm and then cool several times over. Can you get it inside in warmth overnites?

TheShirtBox

It needs to get warm and then cool several times over. Can you get it inside in warmth overnites?
They store the van in their warehouse, which is probably room temp, and then they drive it around town. The other decals went on their store front door that faces the sun, so I imagine it will get some heat and cool action.

Would you suggest heating it up with a hair dryer or heat gun a few times?

AUTO-FX

Heat gun? Well, not really. Better to let it be. Unless there are bubbles larger than a BB. Then you have a problem.

wildside

also, were the layer of different colors pre assembled or layered on the vehicle itself during install?

TheShirtBox

I layered the vinyl in my shop before putting it on the van. I have a fair amount of vinyl experience, and I am confident that using that method is what screwed me. I've never done it before and I don't think I'll do it again. Definitely some bubbles bigger than a BB...

It was a dry application. The bubbles are just all over the place, some big, some small, fairly random. The bubbles are only between the layers of vinyl, as I was using a squeegee to apply the entire thing directly to the van so I didn't have as much of an issue there...

wildside

there is the problem, the bubbles will not come out unless you sit there and pop every single one of them

never preassemble layered vinyl, thats what printers are for...:Big Laugh

gabagoo

you CANT preassemble and not get bubbles. Just does not work. Air or water gets trapped where the layers overlap.

lesson learned

mopar691

Wow. Even in the video you can see he has alot of air in there between the layers. He even pops some of the bigger ones with his knife.

TheShirtBox

Ahh bummer... I had never tried to preassemble before... Definitely won't be doing it again. Any suggestions on trying to get rid of the majority of them? Just pop them with a pin? I'm a little worried about popping them and getting a wrinkle.

omgsideburns

You can pre assemble and not get bubbles between the layers.. but... When you go to put it on you'll probably get bubbles where you can't get the squeegee to push evenly because of the little difference in height from color to color, at least with thicker vinyls like reflective.......................................))))))))))))

You won't get a wrinkle popping them unless they are HUGE bubbles. The little pin pricks may eventually show up from heating and cooling, stretching out the little holes (teehee).

If I absolutely have to preassemble, I do it wet (yes, wet, even though I know the backing is made of paper). Then I just loosely roll the graphics back up and let it sit until it's dried up. Rolling it keeps my paper from getting on wonky. Do it all the time.

striper14

I think the biggest trick with bubbles is not pressuring them before you prick them. Just prick the edge & give a tiny flick up with your knife ( i've had years of practise hehe) Ease air out & give hole a rub with back of fingernail to flatten vinyl. Repeat as necessary. Just be careful on glass

And unless you're doing wraps etc, I'd only use 5 year vinyl on vehicles. Cheaper, easier to work with & a lot easier to remove...IMO

As for application, in the last few years I've been trying to do as much as possible dry but overlays are always wet. Easy to align & bubble free..mostly

..cheers