• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sewing a banner Hem

broadcast

So far, I have sub-contracted out all my banner substrates. I want to begin sewing my own. Do I need a special machine to sew the material, or can I use a regular sewing machine? What type of thread do I need? Any techniques I should know? What are the pros/cons of using the tape versus sewing? Thanks for any help!

GB2

Old Member
Personally I don't care, but a lot of people like to get a warm fuzzy feeling first so you may get more answers if you do something like this first...Hi, my name is xyz, I like cats and dogs, I'm in this business just to be your new best friend, I charge high prices and I'm not a low-baller and I have tons of software and equipment and I'm an expert in it's use!...

CheapVehicleWrap

Welcome!

Research industrial sewing machines, Maybe try eBay before they too go under (don't think it wasn't in the business plan from the get go).

Bly

Personally I don't care, but a lot of people like to get a warm fuzzy feeling first so you may get more answers if you do something like this first...Hi, my name is xyz, I like cats and dogs, I'm in this business just to be your new best friend, I charge high prices and I'm not a low-baller and I have tons of software and equipment and I'm an expert in it's use!...

Haha you hit the nail on the head there GB2..

Personally I use banner tape.

Mosh

You need a commercial machine. You will wreck your mom's if you try using it. Looks better tham the beginners using banner tape.

saktrnch

Welcome from Wisconsin.

It doesn't take much to poke a hole in a banner. You will hem tons of banners with a $200 wal mart machine. It is better though if you can use a double needle.

cdiesel

Get a commercial machine. Try 35th Ave Sew & Vac in Phoenix. Ask for Oriel<sp>. Banner tape doesn't hold up very well and is pretty expensive. A decent machine will run in the $2-$3k range.

seaserpent

I guess you've never had the pleasure of hanging around a really good banner operation. It's a treat. Heavy duty double needles with specially made metal track things where the banner folds and just slides right through. Super fast. Fellers has them set up this way. Their tables are giant air hockey types with the holes so the banner glides around. They can lay a flat banner on the table, sew an edge, spin it around on the air cushion and have that thing sewn so fast if you blink you missed it. We're lucky to have Fellers near by.

GB2

Old Member
So next time you are over at Fellers, find out what kind of machines they are using and which ones are their favorites, if you could. I think that is the point of the question here and not whether tape is better than sewing or whose Grandmother sews best.

joeutut

I'm with saktrnc, If you are a small shop with small budget a $200 Walmart Singer Machine works ok on 13 oz. material. Notice I said "ok". The corners where it is layered 4 times will be the slow part but if you only do a banner or 2 a week and you use heavy needles with marine grade thread it does the job. Double needles industrial machines that cost a couple of thousand by far look better and are faster but a few banners and a couple of thousand doesn't jive. Sub it out if you are looking for that type of look. As much as I think it looks much better most people do not even notice. For the one that comes along that you think will, sub.
IMO

Salmoneye

GB2 Your first post was the funniest (most accurate) thing I have seen on here in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I love this place and have learned 1/2 as much here as I have in my shop.

Pat Whatley

I would be interested in learning how you use double sided tape on a 30' banner with pockets top and bottom less creases?

Apply tape to the entire length of the banner but leave the paper backing on. Fold the banner over until the edge is aligned where you want it to end up. Apply any kind of weight at all to the doubled part of the banner but not over the taped edge. I use a 2x4 simply because it was handy the first time. Now just pull the paper off the tape, sealing it down as you go. When you get to the end of your weight just stop, slide everything down, and keep going. Taping a 30' pocket would take about 5 minutes with no puckers.

smdgrfx

Only problem with making pole pockets using banner tape - they don't last very long outside. Not in Texas. The heat gums up the tape and it falls apart. I bought a used sewing machine this past year. It's not a double needle, but it is industrial. Look hard and you will find some good deals to be had. I bought a Juki. They say it's one of the best. Learning curve is not too bad.