• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sewing machine setup

Signsforwhile

We purchased a sewing machine a couple of months ago which came with a small 2'x4' table. It's been a major pain in the butt sewing on it since you always need a "spotter" to help you hold the banner. I'm attaching what I think I need to build as a table. The green is the existing table with the black square representing the sewing machine. The purple is what I plan on building. Anyone have any suggestions? Can I see how different people are setup?

Thanks!

Sewing Machine Table.jpg

ChicagoGraphics

All's you need is the small 2'x4' table it came with, no need to make a bigger one for sewing banners. You just have to get use to sewing em up. My first time at sewing I almost stiched my fingers together.

Here are some photos that might help. We have two of these stations with 2 machines on 20 foot tables. You need the tables to help you stitch especially big stuff.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 206

Checkers

While Chicago is correct in his statement, it does take a little more skill.
The setup I used in the past is similar to what you have drawn. Sorry, no pictures though.
A few notes...
Don't bother notching the table, you should be able to get close enough to the machine without problems;
Mae sure the table is, at least, as wide as your widest material;
Move the machine closer to the end of the table where the material leaves the machine. You'll only need about 3' of table where the material exits the machine;
Add a fairly steep slope this part of the table. This will help feed or pull the material along while you sew.

Checkers

Signsforwhile

Thanks for the replies.

I just can't imagine sewing a 22'x4' banner comfortably on this table.....which was the first banner i sewed on this table!! What a night that was :)

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I know this is an OLD thread, but here goes. We are moving to a new location and my graphics department is going to be more than twice as large as it is now. Finally, I'll be able to have all of my equipment and workspace in one climate controlled area. I'm in the process of designing the layout in our CAD program and trying to figure out the best way to make a "convertible" sewing table.

We produce a lot of dye sub fabric graphics usually 8" wide and up to 25 feet long that we sew silicone "gasket" to. I've been told that we are going to build new sewing tables because the ones I have now are too small and are a royal pain to deal with on big projects.

What I am trying to accomplish is to have (2) 5'x12' worktables back to back that can be used for everyday production, and when I have to sew something big, I'd like to lift up the sides (drop leafs) and extend the width another 5" (30" on each side). I am also going to mount the sewing machine on casters so it can be rolled into place. See the attached screenshots. The nook where the sewing machine would go into would have a full size 30x72 leaf that slides out completely, and have a smaller leaf that slides in to have a continuous surface leading into the sewing machine.

Before I show this to the owner, I'd like to get some feedback from the brain trust to see if you had additional suggestions or a better way to accomplish this. Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• convertable sewing table top view.jpg
    convertable sewing table top view.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 222
  • shop layout v2.jpg
    shop layout v2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 247

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
A turret would make things easy! Not really practical for the occasional banner job though. Sail makers use these.... I do like the idea of having a removable section on a long run of finishing tables though where one could remove the section and roll the sewing machine in for a bit. I might have to explore that idea too. :)

Attachments

• Med_North250612 4.jpg
    Med_North250612 4.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 238
  • SewingTurretForSails_HowItsMade-S7E4-web.png
    SewingTurretForSails_HowItsMade-S7E4-web.png
    380.4 KB · Views: 207

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
A turret would make things easy! Not really practical for the occasional banner job though. Sail makers use these.... I do like the idea of having a removable section on a long run of finishing tables though where one could remove the section and roll the sewing machine in for a bit. I might have to explore that idea too. :)

That looks very cool!