Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sgia 2011

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by BLC411, Aug 5, 2011.

1. BLC411

BLC411 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Champ
    I'm headed to SGIA 2011 (New Orleans) this year and I'm wondering if anyone has any good suggestions as far as hotel accommodations, entertainment, etc... while I'm there. My last hotel left much to be desired and I'm by no means picky. I'd also like to hear if anyone else will be going this year and what products and equipment people are going to be checking out. I visited the show back in 2009 and skipped last years show hoping it would be in a different city this year, but it looks like it's back to the Big Easy! Suggestions and input would be great much appreciated.

2. BLC411

BLC411 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Champ
    hmmmm...

This is my first post as a new member of the community and so far I'm astounded by the replies just flooding in... Is there something I'm missing or a trick I need to learn?

3. sar bossier

sar bossier Very Active Member

Apr 7, 2011
  4. sar bossier

sar bossier Very Active Member

Apr 7, 2011
    BTW ... Greetings from NORTHWEST Louisiana!

5. WrapperX

WrapperX Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Some threads are just more appealing then others.

As for SGIA I don't know to much about it. But New Orleans is a tricky place - some places are really nice - French Quarter, Historic Distircts, etc - but be weary in the evening, it can be dangerous and get unpleasant very quickly! During the day its a great place to be. I guess the question is what do you expect from your hotel? And what do you want to do that is in proximity to your hotel? I stayed at the Olivier which is right off Bourbon St. - great location if you want to get to the party real quick. But for you - you probably want something closer to the Convention...so it's hard telling you what to look for with out knowing what you want.

6. WrapperX

WrapperX Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    :roflmao:

7. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Premium Subscriber

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.
    welcome from Denver. Not going back to SGIA until it's back in Vegas, and i can stay at my paris hotel in my normal room overlooking the strip.

until then..........!

8. cajun312

cajun312 Active Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Louisiana
    They have hotels close by the convention center. Also a bunch at the end of Canal Street.
    All within walking distance of the French Quarter, but I wouldn't walk alone at night. Two blocks from the French Quarter and you are in a different world.
    Motels with normal prices would be in Metarie, about a 15 minute drive to the convention center.
    I'm glad I'm close enough to drive there in the morning and return home that night.

This sort of shows you areas you will want to avoid.

http://media.nola.com/graphics/other/OrleansParishMurders.swf

9. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    My wife and I went last year for our anniversary. We stayed in a nice bed and breakfast. The rate was very competitive, and we could walk to the trolley. If you want to experience a little more of new orleans, it's a good route to go.

10. BLC411

BLC411 New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Champ
  11. Just Another Sign Guy

Just Another Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jun 19, 2004
    OK Who's going? I will be there for some negotiations.

If there is enough of us or any interest we could arrange a reception or whatever.

Anyone going to any of the receptions? Awards? etc...pm me let me know.