• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shadow'n

Please bare with me here, how would you do the shadow on lettering?

1. would you make the shadow then stick the letters on top or would the shadow be placed beside the letters?(seperately)

2. how do you know what colors to use I seen you flame the lovely lady for using yellow on yellow fore her race car.

dark green truck tint windows = white letters/ ? shadows

thanks

hope I haven't confused you guys.

Jillbeans

Since I am a painter, I like to make a natural shadow...sorry if some of the vinyl crew didn't like that but I find it to be very tasteful.

Think about what your lettering will be going onto. A dark green truck would look nice if the lettering were shadowed in black...a red truck, burgundy.
A shadow is just a shadow and should not be brighter than your lettering color.
It should not have more impact.
Think about what color the sun would cast upon a letter physically stuck to your background.

As for layering vinyl, I've always found it easier just to stack the darn things.

When I'm painting a drop shadow, I usually make it down and to the left.
I have been taught to shadow scripts to the right.
But whenever I cross the pond, I notice that most UK shadows go to the right.

Another tip is to highlight or shadow only the main element of your design. Because if everything is accented, nothing stands out.

Love....Jill
PS
On tinted windows there is really no need for a shadow...the glass sort of creates the illusion of one.

threeputt

No flamin' here.
If you are cutting vinyl letters, cut the shadow first. You can make it an outline/shadow which can look very nice or a relief (stand away) shadow.
The relief shadows are harder to weed in my opinion. The outline/shadows are nice because it gives you automatic registration when you go to put the lettering on top.

Finally, I always say that the shadow should more nearly match the background in color than the letters. In other words if you've got good contrast between letter and background, say black on white, then the shade can be grey or a medium tone. If it more nearly matches the letters in intensity, then it's wrong. It'll be hard to distinguish where the letter ends and the shade begins.

So, on dark backgrounds, use a light letter and a pretty dark shade. On light or white backgrounds use a contrasting letter, usually a dark letter and then a grey shadow or a light pastel shade. The dark letter can be burgundy, dark blue, dark green, black, etc. That will stand out good against a lighter background.

Of course there's allways the exception to the rule. Like when you mean to shock or get over the top with your color combinations.

Good luck.

Shovelhead

:cool1:

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 101