• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shiny gold vinyl for boat

Jean Shimp

My customer loves the shiny gold vinyl and wants to use it on his boat for part of the graphics. I told him it won't hold up. Is there some kind of specialty vinyl used in the marine industry that will hold up for at least 5 years? Buy by the yard too?

MikePro

I'm a huge fan of boosting gold vinyl's longevity by adding a cast gloss/luster overlaminate. cast obv.
best i've found spec's 5year outdoor, RTape VinylEFX being one. There's some expensive ones out there too that include real gold leaf, which I think would be pretty sweet & resist fading that much more.

Although, if it goes on a boat then I would add a high tack motorcross vinyl baselayer like Arlon 8000. 3 layers of vinyl, gonna get thick, but it should last. Did this for the chrome lettering I put on my parent's boat, even printed on the chrome before laminating. Still going strong now 3 years later, BUT its Lake Michigan :)

Billct2

I agree, for best results one of "real ones like SignGold or Real Gold. Second best and much cheaper RTape VinylFX. And clear cast overlay with trap on all of them

cwade440

Real Gold or Quick Gold will both last for 10+ years when properly installed. They both have the "mirror" finish too. I always edge seal the vinyl though...

Johnny Best

I have seen that 3M edge sealer break down faster than vinyl when exposed to harsh conditions such as a boat in salt water with high UV sunlight.
All it is acrylic resin and thinned out with xylene. The real gold holds up the best in my experience with no edge sealer or extra overlaminate.
Putting down first a cast vinyl of color for outline and then the real gold on top slightly smaller to have a thin outline around copy.