• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shipping Crate Software

signspark1988

Hi, experienced sign friends :)

We're getting into a lot of crating large signs throughout the country and find ourselves taking a lot of time to figure out how big we need to crate. I'm hoping by now we have some sort of software to streamline this. Do anyone know of a company that has this?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I'm hoping by now we have some sort of software to streamline this.
My first thought is for you to use whatever formula you need in a spreadsheet such as Excel. Your bookkeeper or some other knowledgeable person in the shop may be able to help you with that.

rjssigns

I think you'll waste more time with software. I used to crate industrial equipment of all shapes and sizes. If you can read a tape measure, run a radial arm saw and pneumatic nail gun and stapler you're good to go.
4x4's and 1x10's are your friend.;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You want a program/software which explains how to make a box and stuff it ??

2B

What you are shipping, how far it is going, who you are using for freight, etc. will dictate the type of crating you will need for LTL.

I don't know of a software that does this for you, there are too many variables and once you know the variables, you can just build what is needed instead of being told what to build.

Flat Panels,
* lay on a skid slightly bigger than the panels, place cushion between each panel, use Poly Strapping around the panels only, put a sacrifice sheet on top, use more Poly Strapping around the entire skid.
* would suggest putting a DO NOT STACK cone on the top.

Custom / delicate.
* figure out the overall size of the item and build a full-on shipping crate with enough buffer and strong enough to survive the handling.
* wood is cheap and a LOT easier to overbuild than file a freight damage claim.
Example
https://www.instructables.com/id/Need-to-ship-something-safely-How-to-build-a-custo/

rjssigns

How I learned and once you get used to the process it's quite fast.
4x4's the width of the product. Never more than 2' in between 4x4's.
Cover with 1x10's the length of the product. Fasten to 4x4's with 16p ring shank.
2x4 uprights 1.5" taller than product get nailed flat side to 4x4's. 16p ring shanks here too.
Cover uprights with 1x10s stapled to 2x4's.
Run 2x4 struts in between uprights.
Cover with 1x10's.

Shrink wrap, bubble wrap, tip 'n' tells, loose fill, dessicant is all up to you.

Last thing and most important is build it bomb proof. You have no idea the incredible amount of damage a careless shipper can cause.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Be sure to seal the shipment from dust and dirt. It can get pretty nasty in a truck. I ship quite a lot and have to figure out how to build a pallet up according to the volume ordered and what pallets/materials I have available to work with . It just takes practice and experience.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I ship quite a lot and have to figure out how to build a pallet up according to the volume ordered and what pallets/materials I have available to work with .
A software solution (or module) would use existing production data of the sign such as finished size, weight, and basic sign type to then determine a crate type and overall size from a rather simple calculation. Further, the software could determine available inventory of crate materials, the cuts, the courier, the costs, the delivery ETA, etc.

Possible in something as common as a spreadsheet and the first place to start. At the very least, create a list of crates and packages that are typically needed. It's important to include and account for packaging of sign costs.