• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shipping Decals

brandyn

So I have my shipping operations and wondering if any one has any suggestion I'm having issues rolling graphics to fit my tubes.

Here's my operations that I currently use:
So I use Phototex
We use 3 inch diameter various length between 16in and 55 inch tubes
Roll it up and wrap it in Poly tubing
The biggest issue is we are having is rolling it up to fit shipping tube.
Here is a video I found notice they put some type of media on decal before rolling just wondering if there was any suggestions to help me with shipping?

[video=youtube;fmyoVm8h9B0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmyoVm8h9B0[/video]

You can see media they put on decal at 1:05 mins

Last edited by a moderator:

toomeycustoms

Are you shipping fedex/ups or USPS?

Our decals are mainly die cut and we don't like to roll them that tight. We used to use 3" and 4" tubes, but when your shipping 20-25 ft of vinyl for a large tree wall decal it's hard to fit in a 3" tube. We switched over to boxes. They are cheaper than tubes and don't take up as much room as the tubes do in the warehouse. We mainly use 24x6x6 and 30x6x6" boxes.

The media you are asking about at 1:05 in the video just looks like a scrap piece of backing paper. I'm assuming the put it there to try to prevent scratches.

brandyn

Tommmy

We are shipping both Fed Ex and UPS. The biggest Size we usually ship is around 16 sqft Our decals are all Di Cut. We will look at boxes is there much of an difference on your shipping cost?

Mosh

Cut letters with tape should not be rolled that tight....not sure I would even roll prints that tight.

brandyn

Fabric Based Media

Since we are using a Fabric Based Media will this allow us to roll it tight because it has more flexibility

toomeycustoms

We are shipping both Fed Ex and UPS. The biggest Size we usually ship is around 16 sqft Our decals are all Di Cut. We will look at boxes is there much of an difference on your shipping cost?

Why both? Why not stick with one to get the best rates with more volume? Shipping costs are not much different. Were talking about ounces in the difference in weight between the tube and box. With fedex/ups it doesn't matter if it is 1lb 1oz or 1lb 15oz, you still get charged for 2lbs. Only downside is with express shipping we get hit with dimensional charges. What are you charging for shipping? Flat fee, Free or do you have real time rates setup with your shopping cart?

What type of machine are you using to cut the phototex? We can't get our Roland to cut it well unless the blade is a brand new 60 degree even then it doesn't last too long. We have the speed on the slowest setting, but still end up with frays or incomplete cuts.

rparsons

We ship primarily 28"x2" tubes, or 42"x3" tubes. For our Instant Granite, we roll it around a 1/2" core tube. If it doesn't fit in a 3" tube, we put it in a "UPS Express Tube." (See attached).

With USPS Priority's included $50 insurance, we try to ship everything this way unless it's to a business, then we use UPS Ground. We've found UPS Surepost has too many damaged packages, and it adds an extra day or 3 to shipping time.

Attachments

• inf_newpac_express_tube_m.gif
    inf_newpac_express_tube_m.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 142

toomeycustoms

We ship primarily 28"x2" tubes, or 42"x3" tubes. For our Instant Granite, we roll it around a 1/2" core tube. If it doesn't fit in a 3" tube, we put it in a "UPS Express Tube." (See attached).

With USPS Priority's included $50 insurance, we try to ship everything this way unless it's to a business, then we use UPS Ground. We've found UPS Surepost has too many damaged packages, and it adds an extra day or 3 to shipping time.

When we started out we only used USPS priority mail because it was cheaper and they give you the free tubes, but you get what you pay for. We had way to many packages that said they were delivered, but the customer never received them. Also had too many packages arrive late or the tracking info was never updated. I've had a few packages that were sent only a few hours away, but it took over 2 weeks to get there. This was before their new $50 free insurance and "improved" tracking.

Out of curiosity, how many packages a day are you sending out and are you using a third party shipping software or the standard UPS worldship/fedex shipmanager?

rparsons

Out of curiosity, how many packages a day are you sending out and are you using a third party shipping software or the standard UPS worldship/fedex shipmanager?

We send out about 30 packages a day (we've sent 300+ so far in Oct). Approx. 50% via Priority. We used to have issues with Priority too and so we used primarily UPS Ground or Surepost. But since their automatic insurance, we've had far less issues. And we've had a higher rate of success with claims for USPS Priority, than UPS ground. Shipping time for Priority is also faster than it used to be.