• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shipping Large Masked Graphics

kelly

We ship very large print/cut masked graphics for application at a fabrication site in another state. We have always shipped them flat, which keeps the mask stable and the graphics arrive ready for easy application. However the client is looking for larger graphics--possibly larger than UPS will allow us to ship flat.

Anybody have tips or information on shipping masked graphics rolled? Our experience is that the mask slips a little over the curve and the fabricator has a hard time installing them....

fresh

we have provided thousands of yards of 48" paintmask to a client who installs gym floors. We just roll it up with the graphics side out and never had a problem.

To clarify, we will stack many sheets on top of each other, then roll them up. The roll is usually about an 18" or so diameter.

kelly

we have provided thousands of yards of 48" paintmask to a client who installs gym floors. We just roll it up with the graphics side out and never had a problem.

To clarify, we will stack many sheets on top of each other, then roll them up. The roll is usually about an 18" or so diameter.

So do you have transfer tape on the paint mask? Just clarifying. Maybe our issue before was too tight of a roll....

ams

Can they be transfer taped after arriving? But rolling on a cardboard tube with transfer tape side out should work perfectly.

2B

when shipping graphics that have pre-mask / transfer tape on them.
we always roll as loose as the shipping container will allow, you want to make sure that the mask is facing out.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
We use 6” core/tube. Tape first graphic to the tube then roll up a bit and then next piece. (Essentially staggered about 3”). Tape to keep from unrolling and put in a good box

Rolling graphics too tightly will cause issues

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I receive tubes of graphics nearly everyday and never had issues with them. In fact I don't ever think I got a flat box of them. What do you mean by slipping?

ikarasu

Something not mentioned... Are you using the correct transfer tape?

Most are not designed for air egress vinyl. That's why it peels off / the graphics move... There's some that's formulated to work with the air pockets on the air egress liners. It sticks better, not perfect but it does make a big difference.

It costs more... But if your constantly shipping stuff out its worth it.

That said... We do a ton of installs, we usually roll everything up with graphics facing our, using normal tape. The first one may peel a little, but it's usually ok.

equippaint

I'm probably alone with this one, we roll ours tape side in around the outside of a tube. We always seemed to have more problems like wrinkling and stuff coming off the liner when rolling them graphics out.

JimmyG

Equippaint said:
"I'm probably alone with this one, we roll ours tape side in around the outside of a tube. We always seemed to have more problems like wrinkling and stuff coming off the liner when rolling them graphics out."

I think I will experiment with this and see if this method will prevent "tunneling". Just happen to have some leftover premasked graphics left over from our last job...
I usually carry (and ship) masked graphics in a 16"x16" box rolled mask out to prevent tunneling.

Last edited:

amandaveronica

I think you need to find a good way to roll the graphics as wide and stable as possible. We, fortunately, print a lot of wallpaper that comes in these heavy duty cardboard tubes that are 8" diameter and that tends to be okay, but the wider the diameter the better. Graphics side out for us. I don't know what you're setup is, but also if you can apply application tape on a laminator... going roll to roll.. you might be able to get a really nice application that they will just be more secure in general... And when you say slipping... do you just not have a lot of vinyl that is holding the application tape? if it is not sticking well to the release liner because there are not a lot of graphics for it to hold on to, consider leaving a border of vinyl around the entire thing so it has more to grip to.