• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop Cleanliness

rydods

Member for quite some time.
With the new year upon us and time to reflect on improvements to be made, I though I'd ask everyone what are your thoughts, processes, tips and ideas for achieving and keeping a clean space?

We produce and install regular vehicle graphics to wraps, digital printed labels/decals to banners and signs.

Our 2 60" printers are in a separate space from where we install but we will be building a new shop in early spring of 2020 and I plan to have everything somewhat open for clear communication and workflow. I am somewhat considering adding PPF to our services.

With that being said, I see open concept shops with their garage doors open during the summer which just seems crazy to me. Everything picks up dust within a few seconds. I tack cloth everything immediately before laminating or applying it to a vehicle or board and even that sometimes does not seem to be enough. If we did PPF or window tinting, we would need a "nasa" clean environment especially with the static this time of year.

Happy New Year!

rjssigns

You mean a shop isn't supposed to look like a tornado just went through? Hmm...have to rethink my strategy for 2020.:rolleyes:

Truth is if you want to get serious plan on doing Six Sigma. What is boils down to is having work cells. Within those work cells are the tools to perform that specific task. Those tools are arranged on a board with their outlines. If anything is missing you can tell immediately and set about finding the tool. Those tools never leave the cell for any reason. Have another cell that needs the same tool? You buy two.
Having work cells with dedicated tools/equipment completely eliminates time wasted looking for anything. Cuts down on employees going walkabout in the shop too. If you have a cell specific task there is no reason to leave that cell.

Six Sigma isn't the be all end all, but the system contains solid process improvements.

JoeRees

I don't know what PPF is but how exciting to be able to design your ideal shop layout. I've never operated a shop that came anywhere close to needing NASA cleanliness but the fundamental rules still have to be isolating the clean and dirty aspects of your production as much as possible / like with walls or at least curtains. The cleanest processes (Printing and laminating) at one end - semi-clean assembly in the middle zone - and anything messy (fabrication, woodworking etc) at the far other end. Congratulations on the opportunity to optimize your workspace!

2B

PPF - Paint Protection Film
think of it like a "clear" wrap put on cars to protect the paint job
usually only placed on the high impact areas prone to dings, rock chips and road abuse.

the biggest issue is and will be dust, regardless of how the show is configured.
we have several DIY filters around the shop, makes a BIG difference and easy to make with scrap MDO
http://www.jax-design.net/2016/06/make-workshop-air-cleaner.html

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Yes. 2B is correct. We get several customers and body shops in our area that don't want to touch Paint protection film. It's like tint/wrapping a car for protecting it from scratches and rocks. Problem is, most people that want it are very particular or have exotic cars. Not sure if we'll get into it or not but, I'd want a much cleaner environment if we did.
I think our shop, other than dust, is very organized and clean but like I said, there's no way I would NOT use a tack cloth before application. There would always be a spec of something that came from somewhere. Maybe I'm just being particular. Not a bad thing, I guess but I pull my hair out every time I wrap something in gloss black.

thomlov

For us having the humidifier is essential for having dust free lamination and such. We also vacum every day, our whole shop.
We also have a speed gate (garage door that closes/opens really fast/automatic) between printer area and fabrication area.

this helps, but still not perfect, by far.

The Hobbyist

My neighbor's son was five when I moved in 8 years ago. He is 13 now, and just about "shop rat" age. He is interested in what I do, and I am negotiating a wage with him, to come in, sweep up, toss trash, pick up obvious disposable remnants, etc. and keep the shop clean. In exchange for his work, I will pay him some cash, and teach him how to use the various tools I have in my shop.

My other neighbor's son was 14 when I moved in. He is now employed as a project manager for a construction company, so I have lost my weekly lawnmower guy and general handyman. He still wants to do work for me, but at HIS regular wages! Well, it was good while it lasted.

His dad was mowing my lawn (2 acres) for extra money, but now he is dealing with the usual old age stuff, and after a stroke, he is not going to be available this year for mowing. I CAN do it, but I am massively allergic to Kentucky blue grass, so when I mow, it means two days of violent sneezing, itching, and loss of sleep. So $50.00 per mow (every 5 days) was a real DEAL for me. But now it has sadly ended. I have tried the dust masks, but unless I hose down outside and come into the house butt nekkid, I still react to the freshly mowed grass. :( I am seriously considering one of those robotic mowers. THe monthly payments would not be much different than what I am paying others to do the job.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My neighbor's son was five when I moved in 8 years ago. He is 13 now, and just about "shop rat" age. He is interested in what I do, and I am negotiating a wage with him, to come in, sweep up, toss trash, pick up obvious disposable remnants, etc. and keep the shop clean. In exchange for his work, I will pay him some cash, and teach him how to use the various tools I have in my shop.

My other neighbor's son was 14 when I moved in. He is now employed as a project manager for a construction company, so I have lost my weekly lawnmower guy and general handyman. He still wants to do work for me, but at HIS regular wages! Well, it was good while it lasted.

His dad was mowing my lawn (2 acres) for extra money, but now he is dealing with the usual old age stuff, and after a stroke, he is not going to be available this year for mowing. I CAN do it, but I am massively allergic to Kentucky blue grass, so when I mow, it means two days of violent sneezing, itching, and loss of sleep. So $50.00 per mow (every 5 days) was a real DEAL for me. But now it has sadly ended. I have tried the dust masks, but unless I hose down outside and come into the house butt nekkid, I still react to the freshly mowed grass. :( I am seriously considering one of those robotic mowers. THe monthly payments would not be much different than what I am paying others to do the job.

Around here there are an endless supply of companies that mow yards. $50 for two acres might be a little on the cheapskate side though. Those lawn people didnt cross the border yesterday, they have been here a while and now expect a livable wage...thanks Bernie.

rjssigns

+1 for sheep or goat... they eat 24/7.

There is a local business built around renting out their herd of goats. They are brought in to decimate invasive and unwanted weeds. Cemetery not far from me hired them in to clear out all the poison ivy. To goats it's a delicacy.:eek: If it's anywhere on the property they will eat it first.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
There is a local business built around renting out their herd of goats. They are brought in to decimate invasive and unwanted weeds. Cemetery not far from me hired them in to clear out all the poison ivy. To goats it's a delicacy.:eek: If it's anywhere on the property they will eat it first.

My neighbor had two for a while. They ate ALL the grass and everything within about 4 feet from the ground...stripped the tree branches clean. I don't think they were legal to have in a residential neighborhood but they didn't bother me. They were quiet and sometimes me and my kid would "baaaaaa" at them and they would talk back.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
With the new year upon us and time to reflect on improvements to be made, I though I'd ask everyone what are your thoughts, processes, tips and ideas for achieving and keeping a clean space?

We produce and install regular vehicle graphics to wraps, digital printed labels/decals to banners and signs.

Our 2 60" printers are in a separate space from where we install but we will be building a new shop in early spring of 2020 and I plan to have everything somewhat open for clear communication and workflow. I am somewhat considering adding PPF to our services.

With that being said, I see open concept shops with their garage doors open during the summer which just seems crazy to me. Everything picks up dust within a few seconds. I tack cloth everything immediately before laminating or applying it to a vehicle or board and even that sometimes does not seem to be enough. If we did PPF or window tinting, we would need a "nasa" clean environment especially with the static this time of year.

Happy New Year!
You want your printers/laminators in the same air as your fabrication area? I would want as much separation as possible.

i have been following this thread since the beginning, since we are also planning a new shop. we are just "opening" full time operations, (this is going to be my "retirement" business. we are in a small 600 sq ft retail space crowded with equipment we have refurbished. (other equipment currently fills 3 storage units)

i just signed a lease on a 4300 sq ft warehouse/office space. it will be quite an experience to be able to plan a properly designed shop, with clean area, assembly area with saws, sheet metal brake, drill press, welder

we take posession on april 1& have long wanted to build a proper show room, cnc area, engraving& trophy area. as things move forward i will post some shop drawings & pictures

i have gotten. a lot of great ideas from signs101 & will make an effort to post each step of the process as it happens