• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shop employee question

what the

Owner/op
Many of my employees have made and continue make careless mistakes and i causing the shop to lose alot of Money. This can be avoided but continues. Has anyone at to the point where they charge for careless misprints?

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I believe in the State of California, it is illegal
to back charge your employees for mistakes...

Fire someone... I'm thinking that might get people
thinking.... or, is the workload so heavy that you
need more people and that's why mistakes are
being made?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Put up a board with everyone's name on it and track their errors monthly with a dollar amount lost.
End of the month
Most money lost -> fired.
Least money lost or most productive -> Lunch on the Boss

wayne k
guam usa

Stormyj

Just another guy
Put up a board with everyone's name on it and track their errors monthly with a dollar amount lost.
End of the month
Most money lost -> fired.
Least money lost or most productive -> Lunch on the Boss

wayne k
guam usa

and AND, have a pic of a GIANT AXE ready to fall.
01135391.interactive.b.jpg
:omg:

Marlene

define the type of mistakes they are making as that helps. is it in doing stuff the wrong color? wrong amounts? what is it that they are doing? mistakes happen and getting down to the reasons is helpful.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Mistakes are the bosses problem, you have either trained them wrong, hired incompetent people or price your work too cheap that your even counting the mistakes.

raise your prices, train your staff....

~look in the mirror~

JgS

What kind of procedures do you have in place for quality control? All work should be double checked every step of the way and if the employees are not disciplined enough to do that on their own then a form need to be used. Also all orders need to be written out with clear instructions. Make sure that there is enough room in your pricing to afford a mistake every now and then. Mistakes are just human nature.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Mistakes are the bosses problem, you have either trained them wrong, hired incompetent people or price your work too cheap that your even counting the mistakes.

raise your prices, train your staff....

~look in the mirror~

This. I don't care how much you try, most of this falls on the person who hires and fires. If they aren't cutting it, cut them.

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
You've said it right there..."Many of my employees..." this could be your working procedures need to be looked at. Most of the problem is just the working habit. Work with them closely on the problem for a week or 2 until it become a habit. Firing employee is not a good solution because training new one cost money and who know if that one is better than the one you fired? My 2 cents

Many of my employees have made and continue make careless mistakes and i causing the shop to lose alot of Money. This can be avoided but continues. Has anyone at to the point where they charge for careless misprints?

mark galoob

first mistakes i eat...anything after that, employee eats period. ive only had to ask 1 employee to resign and he was so incompetent the amount of money he was paying back began to equal his paychecks...at that point im done with them...

here is my reasoning here...i guarantee you that if an employee screws up, and it costs that employee money, that mistake will prob not happen again...sometimes employees need to be "spanked" or feel that twinge of pain to step up and pay attention...