• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shop Lighting

JPGraphicsMI

Premium Subscriber
I'm moving into a new facility in June, and one thing I want to invest the money in is proper lighting. This will be a 2 bay combined area (not separated), 12' doors, 14' ceilings. Overall shop/install space is roughly 1200 sq feet. I have been looking into some UFO LED High Bay lights (5000k, 150w) and almost pulled the trigger, but I'm worried they will be SO bright, they will create shadows and have bright spots in the shop. I want to be able to see when doing my color change wraps, but also want to be able to take some quality pictures indoors.

For now, I only plan on ceiling mounted lights, but eventually will also have wall mounts. Looking for suggestions for both!

Thank you in advance..!

rjssigns

Check Youtube. People that make their living shooting Youtube videos say you can never have too much light. I agree. Shadows are caused by improper spacing and using the wrong fixtures for the area.
If you have a friend that's a professional photographer ask them about lighting.;)

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I agree, you can't have too much light, I put TONS of light in my shop. I thought it would be too much so I have them on different circuits to shut half of them off and I have never done that, I always run all of them because the brightness makes for a good work environment. And make sure it's daylight color.

DaveD

I’m working on the same thing right now. Check with your local electrical hardware supplier (like Platt Electric). They were able to measure the install bays and give me a solution. See the attached.

Attachments

• Foot candle layout.pdf
    328.5 KB · Views: 247

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We put in 4 bulb T5 with reflectors. They are bright. We redid the lights in the main shop last year and ended up going with the same thing over LEDs. The first batch of T5s have been going for over 6 years and never changed a bulb or ballast. I don't trust these LED fixtures to last and they're expensive. We put LED floods in the front and rear and have had to replace 3 of them already.

Andy D

I had a daylight LED installed right above my work table & while I don't use it all the time, when I have to do fine work, it has been very helpful.

netsol

first thing i did in the warehouse was add 24 additional lithonia fluorescent fixtures

when we moved in it was bright enough for a warehouse but not for us to actually work in (i need a lot of light)

local vendor had a bunch of leftovers from redoing a hospital and was looking to unload them. we jumped at the chance

netsol

We put in 4 bulb T5 with reflectors. They are bright. We redid the lights in the main shop last year and ended up going with the same thing over LEDs. The first batch of T5s have been going for over 6 years and never changed a bulb or ballast. I don't trust these LED fixtures to last and they're expensive. We put LED floods in the front and rear and have had to replace 3 of them already.

a large client put in all led's, with motion detectors. is seems every time there is a power failur (VERY OFTEN!) at least one of two of the fixtures dies. whether they change the led driver board (equivalent of a ballast) or the motion sensor, it is too rich for my blood

rjssigns

Forgot to mention check with your local utility. Some will have good rebates on commercial lighting.

Billct2

We just redid the shop with LEDs under a program from our electric company. They picked up half the cost and the rest is paid over three years in our bill. I'd see if there is anything like that available in your area

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've heard if this before...but I'm confused as he'll why an electric utility would pay for someone to use less electricity. Is it government grants or something?

Jester

Slow is Fast
Need to get load off the grid because of government green mandates - less use of fossil fuels to generate electricity, charging capacity for electric cars, solar doesn't generate at night, wind doesnt blow at night on the coasts, etc.
It's a h*ll of a way to run a business, but we all pay for the forced inefficiency in our electric rates.

SignEST

I've heard if this before...but I'm confused as he'll why an electric utility would pay for someone to use less electricity. Is it government grants or something?
They offer all sorta energy efficiency rebates here too and the power is cheap and generated by hydro. It seems kinda goofy but they might recoup some of the rebates with the excess power sold to US. Not sure as to how it works in the US.

LED lights are great vs the other options just from not having to change them out as often. The power savings and time saved from not having to deal with recycling the fluorescent tubes is extra nice. I know most people just break them and throw them in the garbage.