• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shopvox vs Corebridge Vs Cyrious

JoeBoomer

Hey guys, need some opinions on your experience with Shopvox or Corebridge. Just moved and started working at a new sign shop. We have about 1 year of data/orders in Cyrious but nothing has been customized or anything, so we are basically starting from scratch (Which I'm excited about).

Shop of 4 guys

1 Design
1 Sales
1 Production/Install
1 Design/Sales/Production guy (me)

Products we offer

Printed signs, banners, etc. (Latex 360), Outsourced ADA, Channel Letters, sign-refurb etc.

What is your experience with the following:

- Setting up system & training (how long to get up & running?)

- Quickness & ease of use (Sales to Production)

- Job costing; Want to track actual usage so we can compare to what we quoted

- Ease of estimating

- Workflow management - Too much crap, not enough detail, too rigid of a system, what are your thoughts?

- Task Management

- CRM / CMS / Asset Management - Keeping ALL information pertaining to a job or customer in one place. This is huge problem for us now with e-mails, local file server, hand written, notes in our brain, etc.

- Estimate / Lead - Tracking, reminders, notes, etc. (kind of same as above)

- Anything warnings, thoughts, considerations, etc.???

Thanks Team!

Sidney

I know we were not one of your comparison estimate companies, but if you would like a walk through of our GraphixCALC Sign Estimator 2015 release please contact us.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Hey guys, need some opinions on your experience with Shopvox or Corebridge. Just moved and started working at a new sign shop. We have about 1 year of data/orders in Cyrious but nothing has been customized or anything, so we are basically starting from scratch (Which I'm excited about).

Shop of 4 guys

1 Design
1 Sales
1 Production/Install
1 Design/Sales/Production guy (me)

Products we offer

Printed signs, banners, etc. (Latex 360), Outsourced ADA, Channel Letters, sign-refurb etc.

What is your experience with the following:

- Ease of estimating

- Workflow management - Too much crap, not enough detail, too rigid of a system, what are your thoughts?

- Task Management

- CRM / CMS / Asset Management - Keeping ALL information pertaining to a job or customer in one place. This is huge problem for us now with e-mails, local file server, hand written, notes in our brain, etc.

- Estimate / Lead - Tracking, reminders, notes, etc. (kind of same as above)

- Anything warnings, thoughts, considerations, etc.???

Thanks Team!

Joe-
I'll give you my thoughts... In the spirit of full disclosure, I have been in the industry for 20 years and was a Field Support Regional Director/Consultant for one of the National Franchises for 6 years. I also worked for one of the software companies you mentioned. I was involved in implementation, training and support of point of sale software with franchisees and independent shops, as well as development of a customized version of one of the software packages. I don't think there is one specific software that works best for all shops. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Due diligence on your part is key.

I would say that you need to take a few things into consideration about the type of work you do and the sales volume of the shop. Implementation of a system like this takes some dedicated time to setup, (2-4 months), and a lot of time to understand the methodology that you are going to use to build your pricing models. You should figure out, in a perfect world, how you would like to price each of your product lines. Are you going to use square footage pricing, time and materials, etc. You also need to have a firm grasp on what your shop labor rate per hour is. There have been many threads on Signs 101 to help you determine this. Using a system to manage your shop requires buy-in from everyone that uses it to trust the system to not only price accurately, but requires data entry to update jobs as they move through the system. You should also think about how and if you want a system like this to interface with your accounting system. If you're using quickbooks, its easier, but some other accounting packages may be a different story. The biggest issue I have seen in smaller shops to get a system up and running, is that, for employees, "Its just easier to do it the way we've been doing it all this time" and "If I have to do all this work just to get an order moving through the shop, I'm wasting time not doing production". It's painful to change the ways things have always been done and from a management point of view, it takes patience and realization that the learning curve for you and your employees is going to be steep, regardless of any new system put in place.

You should also consider whether you want a system that can be accessed via the cloud or if it lives in your shop. Companies that offer a cloud solution may also have a subscription model that involves an initial setup fee and a monthly subscription.

This depends on how detailed you want to be. How much information do you want to capture for your estimates/orders, and whether that information can be displayed in an easy to understand format on your estimates,orders and shop work orders. Being able to capture as much information as possible doesn't do you much good if its not possible to understand when its used. Also, remember, more data entry requires more time. There are some packages that allow you to modify/customize the order entry screens and the "reports" (estimates, orders, workorders, and traditional reporting). For you to do the modifications or create your own custom entry screens and reports, takes a lot of time usually, and requires you to understand how they were created from the programmers point of view. Otherwise you can pay the company to create these for you, but there is additional costs involved to do that. In my personal opinion, you're never going to find an off the shelf solution that has exactly what you want. During the demo process, have the rep show you the order entry screens and reports for each of the product lines you offer in your shop. Ask what the process/price is to customize something if you don't think it will work with your shop.
Once you have everything setup, order entry to production can be a very fast process. I like the ability to email estimates directly from the system. Once approved, you would take a deposit, apply that payment to the order, print the work orders and begin work. Some systems have the ability for the customers to have a web portal to review orders, approve artwork and re-order. Of course the more bells and whistles, the higher the cost.

First question... are you currently tracking estimated vs. actual costs? If not, you should definitely put this into practice before using software to do that for the first time. Keep in mind that in order to do this accurately, you need to have your costs listed out for all material that go into a job. For our operation, we track everything from substrates, bulbs, hardware, velcro, etc. We do build in a factor for common hardware like screws and bolts, but track expensive hardware individually. You should also have a way to track waste and redos in order to get a true actual cost. For small shops, this can be daunting. It sounds like a great idea to be able to look at jobs and determine what your profitability is; just realize what your commitment is once you put this into place. Our shop guys have to charge out materials used as they pull them from inventory (typically at the end of a shift). They also charge their time on a job at the end of each day. We do this via ipad stations and workstations in the shop.

- Ease of estimating
I would say this falls into the 80/20 rule category. If you setup your system to accurately price your primary product lines, that will usually cover 80% of the orders that you estimate. Its that other 20% that can be painful. If you have to order special media, substrates, hardware, etc... how easy is it to enter these items into the software before adding them to a product on an estimate? Does it require a manager to do this so that the margins are calculated correctly? If you're a distributor for portable tradeshow displays for instance; do you go through and enter those items into the software? Or manually enter them at the time they are estimated? I found that there was no easy way to deal with that "20%" and it would bog down the process once I had all of the costs, and having to figure out how to enter these items so that descriptions, sizes, etc, showed up correctly on estimates and workorders.

This is such a subjective question that is very specific to your shops workflow. I've seen shops give up on a system because there is way too much information that the production department never uses. It could be that they SHOULD use it, but again, making changes to a workflow to accommodate the capabilities/limitations of a software can result in a lot of resistance because its easier to do what they've always done. The flexibility of the system can vary greatly based on how much customization is needed (if possible) to match your needs.

- Task Management

Task management is another one of those items that looks great on paper but can take a lot of time to setup and manage once implemented. Some systems allow you to have specific tasks setup based on a product. For instance, you know that for a banner order, it requires design, send proof, provide revisions, preflight, output, trim, finishing, quality control, and send final invoice once complete. Think about what you would want your task management to accomplish. The tasks would correlate to your workflow. For channel letters it would be completely different during the production process, but you may have the same tasks at the front and back of the workflow. Once these tasks are created, how are they managed? Do you want your staff to log in to the system each time they complete a task, or update the task with notes and completion progress? We utilize a project management software that allows us to do this and I will say its been a struggle to manage the tasks, completion percentages and such.

This may have changed since I last looked at the software packages out there, but there wasn't a robust CRM solution built into the packages we looked at. Again, it becomes an issue of managing the information and data entry. At one point we were using a project management software and one person that did nothing all day but manage the software. In the past 6 months we've started using the Zoho suite which has project management and CRM built in and that's been the best fit for our particular situation.

I would love to tell you there is one solution out there that can do everything you want, but realistically I think you'll have to find one that meets the needs of your shop that offers enough flexibility to grow into. It's not like some industries which have just a few product lines, or a retail operation. Because of the customized nature of the sign industry and the multitude of variables that go into pricing, workflow, etc, it's hard to find (in my experience) to find an out of the box solution.

Hope this helps.

DirtyD

Very nice response - What do you use then if any?

Setting up and Training -
There is not much setting up and training offered - they give you a link to a document to read then I think you get 1hr maybe 2 of a phone call of them showing you how to make a template and other things. Any other training is upto you by watching videos. They do have a walk me through on your cloud dashboard and always have a live chat available though. I have been using for 4 months and still don't understand it.

Sales - Production
If you have all your templates setup properly to go from a sales note to estimate to proof to work order and invoice is all pretty easy and fast - you can make lots of changes along the way.

Job Costing -
I'm not sure if that's in there - if it is I don't know how

All of the other stuff, I don't use it so I couldn't tell ya about it

I personally like and dislike ShopVox - I like what it can do - I hate how you do it. I cannot stand that I have to create product templates for everything and I have to think of everything that could ever go into the job and once I figure that out I have to figure out formulas to make it work right. And God Forbid you forgot to add something you cant just do it on the fly in the middle of the quote - You have to go back into the product you created and add what you forgot then if it needs a special formula to charge something make sure to add that then try your quote again. Creating products for a basic SqFt based print is easy but creating a product for channel letters or an illuminated sign forget about it.. I have no idea how someone would create that template. I feel like you have to be a software code writer to figure it out.

There is good things and bad things to all software. Do demos and see what you like.. I am looking at switching myself I have looked at GraphixCalc, Estimate, I have used Cyrious and Liked the flow to an extent but not gonna pay that much. For Me probably GraphixCalc or Estimate

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant

We actually use a custom built system that runs inside excel for estimating/order entry, WIP, reporting, costing (estimated vs actual) and accounting export. We use the Zoho Suite for CRM, Project management. Our programmer is looking at the API (Application Programming Interface) for Zoho to see if we can have exchange information with our system. Its not perfect, but it does capture all of the information we need. We've looked at corebridge and cyrious but the owner decided at this point to stick with the system we're using for the time being.

Kevin-shopVOX

Setting up and Training -
There is not much setting up and training offered - they give you a link to a document to read then I think you get 1hr maybe 2 of a phone call of them showing you how to make a template and other things. Any other training is upto you by watching videos. They do have a walk me through on your cloud dashboard and always have a live chat available though. I have been using for 4 months and still don't understand it.

Sales - Production
If you have all your templates setup properly to go from a sales note to estimate to proof to work order and invoice is all pretty easy and fast - you can make lots of changes along the way.

Job Costing -
I'm not sure if that's in there - if it is I don't know how

All of the other stuff, I don't use it so I couldn't tell ya about it

I personally like and dislike ShopVox - I like what it can do - I hate how you do it. I cannot stand that I have to create product templates for everything and I have to think of everything that could ever go into the job and once I figure that out I have to figure out formulas to make it work right. And God Forbid you forgot to add something you cant just do it on the fly in the middle of the quote - You have to go back into the product you created and add what you forgot then if it needs a special formula to charge something make sure to add that then try your quote again. Creating products for a basic SqFt based print is easy but creating a product for channel letters or an illuminated sign forget about it.. I have no idea how someone would create that template. I feel like you have to be a software code writer to figure it out.

There is good things and bad things to all software. Do demos and see what you like.. I am looking at switching myself I have looked at GraphixCalc, Estimate, I have used Cyrious and Liked the flow to an extent but not gonna pay that much. For Me probably GraphixCalc or Estimate

Hey hey hey...just wanted to reach out to see if you needed help. Hopefully we can offer a few tips and tricks to make things easier.

I'll be the first to admit that there are some "i"s to dot and "t"s to cross when you set this stuff up. However, you have to do it. I don't care what system you use. If you don't set it up yourself, then it isn't set up correctly. Sure we can help with samples, pre-loaded materials with cost per and standard markups, tools to import your own data but you still have to do the work. Just like excel, it can't do the math unless you tell it to add 2 + 2. However, once you get these setup you can do some pretty cool stuff and quickly, and adding on the fly to your estimate is no problem at all.

I've included a couple of examples. One for channel letters in an upright inch scenario and one for vehicle graphics. Both are selling with complexity and are able to associate the estimated labor and machine time to the actual time in production. They are also using the same exact tools in building your products. Again, reach out to us if you need some more how-to help. Would be glad to do so. (Sorry for the poor quality images, but had to get them under a meg)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• channel_letters_numeric.gif
    channel_letters_numeric.gif
    321.1 KB · Views: 1,764
  • vehicle_graphics_numeric.gif
    vehicle_graphics_numeric.gif
    972.6 KB · Views: 1,712

DirtyD

Hey hey hey...just wanted to reach out to see if you needed help.

Kevin -

Thanks for the response - I'm not dissing Shopvox at all - I like what it can do - I just have an extremely hard time creating products - I looked at the other software because their templates are already setup with formulas you just add materials, cost, etc. With Shopvox I have to figure out the formulas and I just don't get it. Since I don't understand it I kind of have a half a** program because I haven't fully set it up.

I would need some serious help setting it up properly and that would probably cost quite a bit.

Kevin-shopVOX

Kevin -

Thanks for the response - I'm not dissing Shopvox at all - I like what it can do - I just have an extremely hard time creating products - I looked at the other software because their templates are already setup with formulas you just add materials, cost, etc. With Shopvox I have to figure out the formulas and I just don't get it. Since I don't understand it I kind of have a half a** program because I haven't fully set it up.

I would need some serious help setting it up properly and that would probably cost quite a bit.

Didn't think you were dissing at all and wasn't trying to be defensive over shopVOX either. I like and dislike things about it as well. It's a pain at times mostly because it's very SPECIFIC. Missing one "i" or "t" is easy to do. I go cross eyed all the time in it when I'm building these products that I miss one "i" and it's left me slamming my head on the table. I think I might do it fewer times than a new user (1 to 90 days) because it's just ingrained in my head where to click and what to do now. It just took quite a few hours to accomplish that and asking questions along the way.

As you use the software and enter data, if it seems painful ask if there is a better way. Maybe there is. Asking should be part of the price you are paying. Ask away. Get answers. Regardless of the platform, shopVOX, Cyrious, Core-bridge, Estimate, Graphix Calq they all require you to commit to them. Learn it, do the work and use it. So many users amazingly expect these things to just be out of the box. Not so much. We personally need to do better in providing better tools to the learn and use the software, which we are striving to do.

Just shoot me an email or something if you want to spend an hour or so going over examples and suggestions. I'd rather you know how to do something and than worry about how much time to bill you because you had a few questions. If you understand it and use it then it's good for everyone.

ShopVOX is a pretty unique piece of software. It's fairly open to set up and customize to your shop. The trade-off to that is there is more to setup. Which requires a bit of elbow grease. As someone who might be looking to try out or has just recently signed up and is reading this I'd recommend the following strategy:

Use 75% of it while you work on the other 25%. Estimating and setting that data up is usually the other 25%.

I'm pretty sure new users already know how to price what they sell somehow and somewhere else. I have only met a few people that couldn't do that prior to trying shopVOX. As a new user in shopVOX, I'd encourage you to create an estimate, convert to order, copy some details from your excel spreadsheet, and paste in details and enter a price. Then run that order through production, invoice and bill your customers then repeat for a while maybe even forever. Who knows. Might seem odd I'd suggest so, but at least you are benefitting from a good portion of the software right away. It's also the part that takes the least amount of time to learn and deploy giving you a faster ROI. Then once you feel comfortable with your pricing items and estimates you can just "turn it on" with minimal head aches. That should go with any software you use. Strive to use 75% of it within the first 45-90 days and then a little bit more till hopefully you are using most of it.

SignVOX

Merchant Member
Kevin -

Also we can load base pricing db with Materials/Products for a given industry (Sign/screenprinting/embroidery/promo/awards/printing) if you want a starting point. We used to load these by default and early customers said we will ask if we need we want a clean slate. If you reach out to your coach they can load these right away and you can use that as a starting point.

And we keep adding new products/formulas/materials etc., on a frequent basis so you can utilize them with a click of a button.

Hope this clarifies.

DirtyD

Also we can load base pricing db with Materials/Products for a given industry (Sign/screenprinting/embroidery/promo/awards/printing) if you want a starting point. We used to load these by default and early customers said we will ask if we need we want a clean slate. If you reach out to your coach they can load these right away and you can use that as a starting point.

And we keep adding new products/formulas/materials etc., on a frequent basis so you can utilize them with a click of a button.

Hope this clarifies.

Roa - I replied to you on talk.shopvox forum about the products to copy but I have no idea where to get them or how to do it, I havent seen anything about that

SignVOX

Merchant Member
Roa - I replied to you on talk.shopvox forum about the products to copy but I have no idea where to get them or how to do it, I havent seen anything about that

1. I will ask Kevin/Bryant to load what you want.
2. Next time just send an email to your salesrep/coach so that they can load it.
or
3. Chat online and ask us and we can do it right away.

HulkSmash

Hey hey hey...just wanted to reach out to see if you needed help. Hopefully we can offer a few tips and tricks to make things easier.

I'll be the first to admit that there are some "i"s to dot and "t"s to cross when you set this stuff up. However, you have to do it. I don't care what system you use. If you don't set it up yourself, then it isn't set up correctly. Sure we can help with samples, pre-loaded materials with cost per and standard markups, tools to import your own data but you still have to do the work. Just like excel, it can't do the math unless you tell it to add 2 + 2. However, once you get these setup you can do some pretty cool stuff and quickly, and adding on the fly to your estimate is no problem at all.

I've included a couple of examples. One for channel letters in an upright inch scenario and one for vehicle graphics. Both are selling with complexity and are able to associate the estimated labor and machine time to the actual time in production. They are also using the same exact tools in building your products. Again, reach out to us if you need some more how-to help. Would be glad to do so. (Sorry for the poor quality images, but had to get them under a meg)

attachment.php
attachment.php

I have signvox and it looks nothing like this.

Kevin-shopVOX

what's the advantages shop over sign? does it do the same stuff

Yes and no.

Big picture, more powerful, customizable estimating tools, customizable production, track time in the shop on the process, resource management and a simpler and faster UI that is more responsive on a mobile device. It's also set up to integrate with more tools via api and zapier.

The best thing to do is give me a buzz, set up some time and let me give you the nickel tour. In fact, anyone can register for a webinar if you are interested in an overview.

http://try.shopvox.com/getawebinar/

Sidney

As a past customer of some of the other sign estimate programs and a seven year customer of GraphixCALC, I found GraphixCALC to be extremely flexible, accurate and affordable(no subscription fees)...so my business partner and I purchased the company. The formulas used where developed with over 40 years of sign manufacturing experience. We pre-loaded data with one major goal in mind and that is to give a new customer something to work off of. Yes, as Kevin mentioned there will always be upfront work with any of our products and so it comes down to what makes the most sense to someone. Creating products, creating templates, tracking workflow time, etc is done within a few clicks "Literally" and 99% of GraphixCALC is editable to fit your needs.