• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Shorter Cast Vinyl Life on Dark Vehicles

CanDoASign4U

I am using cast vinyl on all my vehicle installs and lately I have been noticing that cast vinyl on darker color vehicles appear to have a shorter life span than those installed on lighter colored vehicles. I had one black truck that was used by the client sparingly in his business. The vinyl failed and cracked on that vehicle's door in two years. The other door looked like new without any issues. I did discover that the client left the vehicle parked facing the east sun and only drove the vehicle occassionally. I suspect that this fact had a little to do with the failure. Needless to say I replaced the vinyl and ask him to rotate the vehicle occassionally so that the same door wasn't exposed as much. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

letterman7

Pretty common. Darker colors absorb more heat and will bake the vinyl from the bottom up. I had a fleet of black police cars that I was replacing something every year as stuff failed (they finally got the hint and moved to silver cars). Metallics are the worst on black.

unclebun

I wouldn't have replaced the lettering free. The proof that there is no defect in materials or workmanship is the other side. Changing the parking position so that sun exposure is more even will be the key to longevity.

bannertime

I wouldn't have replaced the lettering free. The proof that there is no defect in materials or workmanship is the other side. Changing the parking position so that sun exposure is more even will be the key to longevity.

I think that would depend on how good of a customer they are. Replacing one side of graphics for a good customer is nothing compared to replacing one side of graphics for a tire kicking customer.